Labiaplasty surgery can help all those women who had a complaint of hypertrophy or excess tissue in the region of labia minora. Even I faced the same problem of elongated labia that used to hang down due to excessive tissue piling up in the labia region. This made me feel very uncomfortable and self-conscious about my physical appearance, I wasn’t able to wear a swimsuit when I used to go to the beach, neither I felt comfortable cycling, or doing any form of physical exercise and sexual intercourse as it used to cause me great pain.
But after talking to one of my best friend who is also my colleague in the office, I came to know about the labiaplasty surgery. Labiaplasty surgery is a vaginal rejuvenation surgery that helps women suffering from elongated labia, get a vagina that looks aesthetically appealing. After discussing this with my family I decided to go through the procedure. The procedure involved very few steps and it was completed in a very short duration, it was completely painless and I was discharged the same day. I discussed with the doctor regarding all the precautions that need to be taken care of and also regarding the time period of labiaplasty surgery to form into an aesthetically looking vagina.
How long does labiaplasty surgery take to reshape the vagina?
- It usually takes around a month or two, for your skin to heal and form an appealing vagina.
- Your doctor may ask you to take some time off from the work to recover, during which you are advised to maintain proper hygiene in the area by keeping it clean and avoiding any kind of infection during that period.
- Patients should avoid wearing tampons or getting involved in sexual activity for around six weeks to allow faster recovery.
- One can use ice packs or cold packs to reduce the pain and swelling caused by the procedure.
- Most of these precautions are not needed if a woman has undergone CO2 laser labiaplasty. This procedure is much effective with faster recovery, minimally invasive and has a success rate of more than 95%.
A woman undergoes a lot of physiological changes during her lifetime which includes childbirth, hormonal changes, weight fluctuations, and menopause. All these physiological changes can contribute to various issues related to vaginal laxity, damage of the pelvic floor, the weak muscle tone of the vaginal wall which in-turn can cause urinary incontinence, labial hypertrophy, etc. fortunately with the advancement in science all the issues are addressed properly with effective treatment options.
Most of the woman has noticeable skin folds around her vaginal opening and it is normal to have such folds. But, in most cases, women like to undergo labiaplasty in order to remove those extra skin folds. Undergoing labiaplasty is a major decision so, it’s always a good idea to discuss with your general physician first.
What is labiaplasty?
Labiaplasty is a surgical procedure that is carried out for cosmetic purposes. Many women who don’t like the appearance of labia minora or if the elongated labia cause them discomfort, they can undergo labiaplasty. It is a type of vaginal rejuvenation procedure that can treat the twisting and tugging of the labia and helps look the vagina aesthetically appealing. Labiaplasty can be performed on both the types of labial hypertrophy that includes treating labia minora (inner lips or skin folds) and labia majora (outer lips or skin folds)
Why do women undergo labiaplasty?
- When a woman has elongated labia, it can cause discomfort and interrupt the normal function and daily activities performed by women.
- A woman with elongated labia and excessive tissue around the vaginal opening may find difficult to perform physical activity, and it’s difficult for them to sit on a bicycle.
- It can also affect your sexual life where you experience pain from twisting and tugging of the labia during intercourse.
- Some women may feel emotional or face psychological distress during sex due to their elongated labia and feel self-conscious to wear tight-fitting yoga pants or a swimsuit due to the feeling that their genitalia may be pretty obvious.
- Apart from all these elongated labia can also cause pain, irritation, itching, rashes, and discomfort.
What is labiaplasty and how it can reshape the vagina?
Labiaplasty is a procedure performed to reduce the labia minora, by trimming up the excessive tissue which is hanging down the labia majora. Labiaplasty surgery can provide a symmetrical shape to your vaginal lips so that you can wear that swimsuit with confidence.
Procedure for labiaplasty
- Labiaplasty procedure is conducted under local anesthesia or general anesthesia.
- The procedure is carried out either with the help of a scalpel or CO2 laser energy can also be used to trim down the excessive tissue.
- The trim procedure involves trimming the extra tissue of labia minora and sewing them up with fibers that are dissolved in the tissue.
- The wedge procedure involves cutting down the excess tissue in pie shape and sewing them with absorbable sutures.
- There are also some other procedures that can be performed for labiaplasty which include fenestration labiaplasty, Composite reduction labiaplasty, flask labiaplasty, de-epithelialization technique and laser labiaplasty all of which has its own benefits and risks.
Risks associated with labiaplasty surgery
- The risks associated with labiaplasty are minimal and include bleeding, hematoma, and infection.
- Sometimes the tissue is overly resected which can result in scarring and dryness of the tissue around the vaginal opening.
Benefits of labiaplasty
- A woman can have an aesthetic looking vagina.
- The symptoms of itching, pain, irritation are relieved after the procedure.
- It helps regain self-confidence in most women to wear the dress of their choice.
Q.1. what is CO2 Laser labiaplasty?
CO2 Laser labial reduction surgery utilizes laser energy that closes the blood vessels automatically after making a cut, and thus decreases swelling, bruising, pain and therefore speeds up the recovery.
Q.2.What is labial hypertrophy?
Labial hypertrophy is the medical term for enlarged labia, where one or both of the girl’s labia appear to be larger than normal. However, it is usually found to affect the inner portion of the labia or labia minora.
Also Read: How Sexual Activities Affect Vaginal Health