Like with any circumstance, “boring” can’t last forever if we do something about it. The same goes for a boring room. Sometimes it just needs a dash of effort and a bit of a makeover to transform a boring room into something remarkably attractive. If you’re up for a challenge and you want your creative juices flowing, here are key tips on transforming a boring room into something amazing.
The Illusion of Color
Sometimes, we tend to forget that our eyes trick us all the time, and this is not a bad thing. Vision is one of the senses we predominantly use, and as we can see from television, cartoon, and film, the way our vision is stimulated can greatly affect our perception of things. The same can be said when it comes to our interior decor. Perhaps using the trick of the eye to make rooms feel “different” can be a good thing.
- Consider painting your room with lighter and softer colors. Shades of white or pastel colors can help the room feel larger, even if it’s a small space. If you feel as though you need a large room to feel smaller, you can do the opposite as well: dark colors can make rooms feel smaller.
- Mirrors, too, can add instant lighting to your room. Add mirrors across windows so they can add a lot of natural light to a room, even if it’s barely lit. A combination of small and large mirrors can add more dimension and light to your chosen room.
- Going green counts, and not just to make your space is eco-friendly. Plants are easy to maintain and add a particular kind of depth when they’re used to accessorize. They can clean air and balance the humidity in the area. Most importantly, if you try a lively green motif, your room can become a dazzling display of freshness to your peers and family.
A Matter of Placement
Decorations exist not just to be randomly placed anywhere. At the hands of a good decorator, you can transform these decorations into very big contributors to your room’s overall ambiance. Consider the tools at your disposal, as these can greatly contribute into making your home a much more pleasurable place to live in.
- Consider using large windows and mirrors to give the illusion of space and depth to your room. This works if you have a small room, as a large window or a large mirror can make things seem bigger for you and for your guests.
- You don’t always have to go for expensive to get yourself a good room design. Sometimes mixing and matching helps. Consider putting small objects of complex design and textures on a room layout with a plain design. This adds a layer of patterning and depth that makes your room stand out. If you have a certain style preference, you can try incorporating those colors to give your room an added aesthetic “personality.”
- Slipcovers help as well. If you have a variety of covers, try to switch them up every now and then depending on the season. This allows your couches and chairs to get a constant changing look that is easy and “fresh” to the eyes. Also, if you have to do electrical work at any point, consider the idea to invest in an experienced electrician and make sure the wiring is done right the first time.
Remember: Planning Counts
The ideas above may help give that creative “boost” you need to improve the overall look on your home. However, we can’t haphazardly just take these concepts and toss them around the home. We have to make a few considerations to make sure we are creative and smart at the same time. If you plan on using any of these ideas, consider the following first:
- Consider the plan you want to execute, and the space you want to put it to. It’s harder to execute a traditional look in a house built to have modern design. Try to check your overall home layout in order to assess the kind of redecorating you can do. The more changes you have to do, the more time and resources it might take, so make your design choices are the ones you really want.
- Consider the time it might take to execute these plans, as you may have to ask help to make the work finish faster. After all, you can’t possibly have a messy room around when you have to work.
- If you have the timetable ready, consider the kind of resources you’re willing to spend. Can your redecorations be solved with simple furniture movement, or do you have to make big adjustments such as repainting or buying new furniture?
If there’s anything we can take from this article, it’s that it’s not impossible to transform a boring room into something amazing. It just takes a creative outlook, a good assessment, and proper execution to make things work. The drive to be creative can greatly help change our perspectives in life, and a good room to fit can just be the right atmosphere for you to have a better, more fulfilling life. After all, an amazing home can lead to amazing people growing and nurturing with each other. What better way is there to do this than to bond over something creative? We hope you liked this article from Brosa.
Caroline is an interior designer who’s helped clients across the years create a beautiful living space. She currently writes for brosa.com.au and loves to help those who may have an interior design disaster. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with family.