Why Should You Avoid Chemicals While Removing Mould?

Avoid Chemicals

The appearance of mould in a home normally sparks some alarm. Many property owners are tempted to get rid of it as quickly as possible using various chemicals and paints. However, it is not the smartest move. Read on this post to find why should you avoid chemicals while removing mould.

Let us see why.

They cannot prevent mould from coming back

Most chemicals tend to remove, cover, or coat the mould but don’t really kill it. They fail to eliminate the mould spores that can further grow. Some chemicals tend to send these spores in a dormant state until they are effective. But once the chemicals fade, mould spores grow back.

Moreover, chemical coatings that wok by forming a barrier between the mould and moisture can sometimes lead to a buildup of moisture, leading to mould growth in the future. This can also lead to structural damage to the area in the long run.

 So unless you employ solid measures to prevent mould from returning, it is certain to grow again.

Chemicals fail to remove mycotoxins

Mycotoxins are potentially dangerous substances found in some mould varieties that may significantly affect the brain, kidney, liver, and nervous system functioning. However, some chemicals like hydrogen peroxide, which is commonly used in mould removal Melbourne, fail to kill these mycotoxins.

Chemicals cause damage and are toxic

Many chemicals have bleaching properties that can lead to their discoloration, which can damage the expensive items when used on mould-affected surfaces. These chemicals can also make your home’s structures weak if applied frequently. Further, if you bleach to remove mould on a porous surface, you are actually promoting mould growth as it causes more moisture to build up in the area. 

Moreover, using toxic chemicals on mould forms a toxic atmosphere containing traces of chemicals, thereby leading to poor quality of air in your home. Also, frequently applying chemicals to treat mould can cause some chemical traces to remain in your house for longer periods, therefore, adversely affecting your health. This can stimulate the production of toxins, thus, making the already dangerous mould, even more harmful.

They can cause severe health issues

Most of the chemicals employed in the mould removal process have a significant harmful impact on you and your pet’s health. The ineffective chemicals that fail to permanently kill mould, in turn, can increase your exposure to mould toxins, which can lead to allergic reactions, headaches, nausea, dizziness, reduced brain functioning, lethargy, etc.

Chemical paint is only temporary

Painting over the mould-affected surfaces is a short-term fix, as the mould does not really die and can grow again. Moreover, uneven painted surfaces such as bubbled, cracked, or bowed walls signify an underlying moisture problem, which is often ignored.


Therefore, avoid chemicals and taking proper precautions is the best method to check mould growth again. Investigate the areas of your home that may be potential “hotspots” for moulds—the less ventilated ones, especially bathrooms. Also, ensure to regularly check any pipe leaks, proper air ventilation, and the amount of natural light in your homes.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here