Do you find yourself doing an intense workout but not burning the number of calories that you would have wished for? It happens to the best of us. It can be underwhelming to put so much energy into your exercise routine and not get desired results. This is why you need to strategically plan your workout to burn the most calories possible.
So, if you want to know how to maximize your workout to burn the highest number of calories, you can read all of the information here below.
What is a calorie?
Before we get into how to burn the most calories, it is important that we discuss what a calorie exactly is.
A calorie is a way to measure the energy in our bodies. Calories are referred to in the food we eat and when we workout.
One pound of body fat is equal to 3500 calories. This means that when you consume more than 3500 calories in a single day, you are likely to gain around one pound of pure body fat.
In order to lose body fat, you must eat approximately 500 calories fewer than your recommended calories per day.
This will put you in a calorie deficit. A caloric deficit means that you are exerting more energy than you are consuming. Your body will then go to the fat to look for energy which ends up burning the fat.
This is the primary reason why burning calories is important for fitness. It is also a great way to lose weight if that is your goal.
How food affects calorie burnage
A big factor in how many calories you burn is how you consume your calories. How we consume calories affects our metabolism which involves how our body breaks down food and stores it as energy.
Something that is extremely important is not skipping meals! Even if it seems like skipping meals means fewer calories consumed, it actually slows down our metabolism making it harder to burn off the calories. When we don’t eat as we are supposed to, our body clings onto the calories that we have consumed and, in a way, does not allow many calories to be burned off.
Another reason why not skipping meals is important is because it will deter us from overeating later on in the day. Recent studies have consistently shown that there is a strong correlation between people who don’t eat breakfast and are overweight. This is simply due to the fact that they eat more calories than necessary at later times in the day since their body was not fully satisfied.
A tip for staying satiated and burning more calories is to eat smaller, more frequent meals all throughout the day. This helps both your digestive system and metabolism speed up which uses more energy, thus burning more calories.
How to increase your calories burned
In terms of increasing the calories burned in your workout, it is important to focus on two main things: strength training and cardio.
- Strength training is great for burning calories because you put a lot of energy into the workout. This is simply because it takes a lot of effort to actually partake in the activity. Muscles are constantly burning calories at a slow pace, so working out your muscles is going to quicken that process. If you are looking for short-term results, strength training is the way to go.
- Cardio is the best thing you can do for long-term results. Running is the single best workout for burning calories. In one minute of running, you can burn anywhere from 10 to 20 calories. Go on a 30-minute run, and you are able to burn up to 600 calories!
Specific workouts that burn calories
There are tons of variations of great exercises that you can do. In order to burn the most calories, it is optimal that you tailor your workout specifically to your liking. So, here are a bunch of workouts that do an excellent job of burning tons of calories.
- Running: Of course, probably the best thing you can do to burn the most amount of calories is running. Running is the fastest way to burn the most calories, and you don’t need any exercise equipment to do it. As I said before, a short 30-minute run can make you lose up to 600 calories!
- Swimming: Swimming is an easy, fun, and low-impact workout that anybody can do. Often, there is a swimming pool at your local gym that you can go to. Swimming is not stressful on the body which makes it great for people who don’t normally workout. Also, you don’t feel the burn and exhaustion from the workout when you swim which will allow you to work out for a longer period of time.
- Dancing: If you are someone who loves to go out at night and have a fun time, try incorporating dancing into your nightlife. It is super fun, and it actually burns tons of calories. Surprisingly, you can burn around 10 calories per minute while dancing. It is an effortless, fun activity that you can do with friends, so why not?
- Exercise equipment: One of the best ways to effectively burn calories is by doing a full-body workout. This can be accomplished through certain exercise equipment. Personally, I used to exercise using the Max Trainer M3. At first, I was skeptical. But, after seeing the results, I was amazed at how many calories I was able to burn using just this equipment.
The table below shows the top workouts for burning calories and the calories are typically burned in an hour while doing that exercise. The numbers vary on factors such as age, weight, gender, and athletic level.
|Calories burned in 1 hour
What this tells us
Burning calories can be tricky depending on how our body is built. It varies depending on age, gender, weight, activity level, and so many other factors.
It is important that you look at both your food and exercise habits to ultimately upgrade your fitness for the better.
Once you find the best routine that works for you, you’ll be burning the maximum amount of calories in no time.