No matter which part of the world you are in, you must taste Biriyani once in life. It is kind of a pilaf that originates from India and has several versions of it. The Hyderabadi Egg Biryani Recipe originated from the city of Hyderabad and is much distinct to Kolkata Biryani, Lucknowi Biriyani, or any other. Here, we will share the authentic Hyderabadi version that you can cook with eggs.
Table of Contents
What is biryani?
Biriyani is a rice dish that every Indian loves to relish. The Hyderabadi egg biriyani recipe is a Deccan Cuisine and is mainly egg-based. Most other biriyanis include mutton as that’s where it gets the primary flavor from. The Hyderabadi recipe includes spicy onion and tomato masala, sautéed eggs, and more. The biriyani flavors reflect when you cook it in an instant pot or pressure cooker.
Why you should try Hyderabadi Egg Biryani Recipe?
Having a plate full of egg dum biriyani is a palatable rice indulgence topped with the magic of Indian spices, boiled eggs, and herbs. The recipe is easy to cook and perfect for parties. Biriyani is cost-effective and a crowd-pleaser. The flavorful dish is delicious and keeps opening up to every time you take a spoonful.
Unlike most other kinds of pilaf, you don’t really need a side dish with biriyani. Even when the rice is cooked with basic ingredients, it gives you a taste that doesn’t need a curry. Of course, having a curry will make the meal complete, but you can do it without that too.
Many people have biriyani with raita, which is yogurt mixed with cucumber, tomato, and onions slices. It is time you indulge in the exquisite Hyderabadi egg biriyani recipe and know how to make it.
How to make Hyderabadi Egg Biryani Recipe?
The best part of biryani is that you don’t need to marinate anything. Thus, there isn’t a long prep time. The recipe needs you to follow the art of ‘dum’ cooking, and we will tell you what that it.
Dum cooking is a process that needs you to spare around 20 minutes of your time to bring in the fragrance. It is a lot like crockpot recipes or even when you need to stir fry on low to bring in the correct flavors.
Facts about the Hyderabadi egg biriyani recipe
- You need a prep time of just 10 minutes
- Cook time will take around 40 minutes
- It is a main course meal that you can add with an Indian curry
- The cuisine is Indian
- This recipe will serve 4 to 5 people
What to arrange?
Here is the list of the things you need, followed by how you need to prepare:
1. Saffron milk
You need to soak 20 strands of saffron in a ¼ cup of walk milk for half an hour.
- You need to wash and soak 1 and ½ cup of rice in adequate water for around half an hour
- Take a big pot and add five cups of water, rice, oil/clarified butter, lemon juice, star anise, cinnamon sticks, and salt.
- Boil until rice is cooked and drain the water and keep aside
3. Egg roast
- Heat 1 teaspoon of clarified butter in a non-stick frying pan
- Add ¼ teaspoon of red chili powder, pinch of salt, a wee bit of turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon of coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon of Hyderabadi biriyani masala
- Prick eggs with a fork to see if they are well roasted and if the spices are going in
- Cook on medium heat for around five minutes or masala is well-coated
- Cut eggs in halves and roast them three more times to get the right flavor
- Take it off the fire once done
- Heat two tablespoons of clarified ghee and add one tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, cloves, green cardamom, and peppercorns.
- Sauté whole spices for some time and find the aroma get to your nose
- Next, add slices of onions and sauté sliced onions for three minutes or till they become slightly golden in color
- Add one tablespoon of ginger and garlic paste and sauté on medium heat for two minutes.
- Add two tablespoons of cashew and cook on low for one minute
- Now add one cup of sliced tomatoes and cook till it becomes mushy
- Next, add one teaspoon of coriander powder and red chili powder each
- Add ¼ turmeric powder, two tablespoons of the biryani masala, three pieces of green chilies, two tablespoons of mint leaves, and two tablespoons of coriander leaves
- Let them all cook for four minutes
- Now add ½ cup of yogurt and mix well
- Cook for 5 minutes or until you find the raw smell goes
- Add ½ teaspoon of garam masala powder and salt
- Mix all of these well
- Add ½ cup of water and then mix well again
- Let the entire pot cook for five minutes
- Once you find the gravy becomes thick, remove it from the stove and keep aside
How to assemble the biriyani?
Biriyani is arranged in layers and you need to follow the process to get the exact taste.
- 1st layer: take 1/3 of cooked rice and spread it all through the pot to create the first layer of biriyani
- 2nd layer: take 3/4 gravy and coat the rice. Add mint leave and coriander leaves at this step. Also, add 1 tablespoon of fried onions.
- 3rd layer: take 1/3 of cooked rice and spread it across the gravy to complete the second layer. Drizzle four tablespoons of saffron milk on top and sprinkle one teaspoon of mint leaves and coriander leaves on top.
- 4th layer: add the egg halves on top of the 3rd layer and then spread the rest of the gravy to form the 5th
- 5th layer: take 1/3 of cooked rice and spread across the fourth layer. Drizzle four tablespoons of saffron milk on top. Sprinkle one teaspoon of mint leaves and coriander leaves. Also, one tablespoon of fried onions on top.
How to cook Hyderabadi egg biryani?
- You now need to seal the rice filled with gravy with an aluminum foil or cover tightly with a lid.
- Boil three cups of water in a large pan.
- Place rice and gravy pot over it.
- Cook on medium-low for around 15 minutes and add water till it seems to dry completely
- Turn the heat off and let it rest for five minutes
Now that your Hyderabadi Egg Biryani Recipe is ready, it is time to serve it with raita or a side dish.