Fall is one of the coziest and homely seasons for most of us. It is the time of year when you go camping, drink up a pumpkin spice latte, enjoy a campfire, or bake a cake with your family. Baking and decorating a cake can be a fun activity for you and your family. Many people complain, that though they can bake cakes easily, they do not possess fall decorating ideas. Believe me, we know some great yet easy fall cake decorating ideas that you can use for decorating the cake that you bake with your family. These fall cake decorating ideas will also help you to sell your cakes faster during the fall season if you work at a cake shop as well!
Here are some of the easy fall cake decorating ideas for you, but first let us start from the beginning. Step one is to bake a proper cake. Scroll down to learn more about how to bake a cake, and then settle on what the easy fall cake decorating idea is for you! Let’s get started, shall we?
Table of Contents
How to Make the Base of the Cake?
There are different ways to make a cake. To bake a cake that is extremely airy and soft, you can follow this recipe. This cake recipe is so easy to bake and it is extremely fluffy and tasty! It is hassle-free as well. So, say goodbye to cracking and burnt cakes!
Before beginning, I would like to say that since we are decorating cakes for the fall season, it is better to make them pumpkin-flavored.
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1/8 cup refined oil
- 1 stick of softened butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of pumpkin puree
- Crack open the eggs and beat them up in a container.
- Mix the milk, granulated sugar, and refined oil in that container using a spatula or a whisk.
- Add the softened butter to the mixture.
- Using a sieving device, sieve the flour cup by cup, into the mixture of eggs, milk, granulated sugar, and refined oil. Take the whisk and blend the mixture.
- Add the baking powder to the mixture and whisk it again.
- Add the sour cream and whisk it back.
- Add the two cups of pumpkin puree and fold it in with the help of a spatula.
- Lastly, add the vanilla extract and give the mixture a final blend with the spatula.
- Take the baking bowl and cover the inside with a butter paper. Add the cake batter to it.
- Bake the cake at 180 degrees Celsius for thirty minutes.
Your cake is ready to be decorated for fall.
For the frosting, some of the most famous flavors used during the fall season are cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, maple, nutmeg, honey, chocolate, and cranberries.
Easy Fall Decorating Ideas To Try Out!
Let us quickly check out the best and easy fall decorating idea that suits your choice! Check out the following!
1. Fall Leaves Cake
The simplest yet easy fall decoration idea is making fall leaves. First, prepare the cake base. It is preferred that you make the cake pumpkin flavored.
- Now, start cutting the cake horizontally into three pieces.
- It is time for decoration. Put a little allspice frosting on the cake stand and then put one layer of cake. Drizzle some sugar syrup and then add some more frosting on the top. Then add the other layer and follow the same process two more times. Cover the whole cake with vanilla frosting.
- Take three separate bowls and put buttercream in them. Now add orange food color in one bowl, add yellow in another bowl, and mix yellow and orange in one bowl together. Mix the colors evenly.
- Now, you can get fall leaf molds from the market during the fall season. Spread the buttercream on the leaf molds uniformly. You can use three separate colors of buttercream in different molds or mix them in the form of an art.
- Let the buttercream freeze in the refrigerator for a few minutes until it is solid and fixed. Take the buttercream fall leaves out and start decorating your cake.
- Start from the bottom of the cake, circularly, and then reach up.
If it is your last-minute preparation and you do not have leaf molds at hand, do not worry because we have a solution for you.
- Prepare the three different kinds of buttermilk frosting and put them in separate frosting bags. Now, take a butter paper or a parchment paper, and on top of that, start making your buttercream leaves!
- To be more precise, if you have icing tips for a frosting bag, try using tip 352. Tip 352 is specialized for making leaves.
If you do not have that specific tip, you can use any normal one. Just try making them in the shape of a leaf. Put them in the freezer until it is solid. Sightly put pressure on the parchment paper or butter paper from the back, and pull the leaves out. Then, follow the same process as mentioned above to decorate the cake.
2. Apple Pie Fall Themed Cake
Apples are the most popular fruit of the fall season, which makes apple pie the most approved dessert for this season! Why not add this most liked dessert inside the cake itself? It is a unique way to decorate cakes for the fall season.
- First, you need to bake a cake.
- Now just as above cut the cake horizontally in three layers. Make the middle layer hollow by using a baking bowl or cutter.
- Now start stacking the cake. Put a little cinnamon frosting on the cake stand and put the bottom layer of the cake.
- Then add the hollow layer. Now make an apple pie filling and set it inside the cake. The filling is made by cooking sliced apples, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, raisins, and cornstarch on medium flame.
- Add the topmost layer and cover it with cinnamon frosting again. Level the cake.
- Make another cinnamon frosting in orange dye. Now decorate the frosting on the cake in a crisscross manner just like an apple pie! Trust me, it looks as promising as an apple pie and tasty too!
3. Pumpkin Cartoon Cake
This cake would be very popular among kids and youngsters. Though it is a bit time-consuming to make, trust me! It is worth it!
- This time make a bigger cake. It is advised to make pumpkin-flavored cake.
- In the same way, cut the cake horizontally in several layers. Put a little pumpkin puree frosting at the center of the cake stand. Stack the layers of the cake one by one. Do not forget to add the frosting and sugar syrup in between for a moister experience. It is mentioned above, how to add the frosting and sugar syrup in the pile of cake.
- Now, take a molding knife and shape the cake in the form of a football. Now roll out some orange fondant by using a roll pin. Cover the entire cake with the fondant from above. Using a knife, cut off the extra parts of the fondant. Fold in some vertical lines on the walls of the big ball of cake to give it a pumpkin appearance.
- Take some brown food dye and mix it in water. Now paint the lines on the cake using a paintbrush for a real look. For a more cartoonish look, make a pencil-thin piping bag and fill it with black-dyed buttercream. Now make borders around the pumpkin-looking cake. It would look comical and funny!
- Now take some brown frosting and make the branch of the pumpkin cake. Take green frosting and make leaves around the branch. Henceforth this is your pumpkin cartoon cake.
4. Glazed Maple Syrup Cake
Maple syrup is a very common ingredient used the dishes prepared during the fall season. Then why not use it in a cake?
- Make a simple yellow cake and cut it horizontally.
- Now make some maple frosting and put some of it on the cake stand. Place the piece of cake on the cake stand. Sprinkle some sugar syrup. Add the maple frosting. Repeat this with all the layers of cake, add frosting on the top and sides, and level it.
- Take some maple syrup, powdered sugar, milk, and a pinch of salt and blend it using an electric blender. Instead of maple syrup, you can add maple extract too!
- Now cover the cake wholly with maple syrup glaze and put it in the refrigerator. Take it out after an hour, and your glazed maple syrup cake is ready!
- To add a glossier look, sprinkle some edible glitter on the maple syrup glaze. It will look as dreamy as ever!
If you follow these designs sincerely, you will realize that these are some of the easiest fall decorating ideas you have ever seen. Baking these splendid cakes at your family gathering will bring back a lot of memories of fall. Not only that, these four types of fall cakes will sell like ‘hot cakes’ if you decorate them diligently and sell them.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What to use instead of frosting?
You can use buttercream icing, whipped cream, or ganache.
What are some of the different kinds of decorations that can be used?
You can use nuts such as pistachios and cashews, even walnuts. Break them into small pieces and put them on top of the cake. You can add marshmallows and sprinkles too!