Roof is an important part of the house. What makes the roof crucial is that it can protect the occupants of the house from various weather changes, from heat to rain.
Moreover, the roof also has a function to cover the room underneath, prevent the entry of excess solar heat radiation, prevent rainwater from entering, and so on. That’s why it’s important to choose the right roof for your home.
Table of Contents
1. Asphalt Roof Tile
This type of roof is made up of asphalt or bitumen mixed with other materials, such as sandstone, fiberglass, and algae coatings.
Asphalt shingles have several advantages, such as:
– Lightweight Yet Resilient
In one square meter, it weighs 13kg, while a concrete or ceramic roof weighs 50kg to 60kg. Despite its lightweight, it is more sturdy and resilient due to its long manufacturing process and high heating.
– Sound Resistant
The impact of heavy rain makes the roof produce annoying sound. Asphalt roofs or bitumen roof tiles can reduce the sound of rain or wind that hits the roof of the building. Apart from rain and wind, this type of roof also can reduce the sound coming from outside.
2. Metal Roofs
This roof is made of metal material. The advantages of using this type of roof are:
Available in a wide range of colors and designs, so it can be applied to different types of architecture.
– Easy To Clean And Durable
This roof is very easy to clean, as it only needs to be watered periodically. This type of roof can also be considered durable because metal is termite-proof, rot-proof, unbreakable, and mold-free.
3. Clay Tiles
This tile is made of clay. Some advantages of this type of roof are:
- Environmentally friendly because it is made from clay.
- Cheaper compared to other materials.
- Reduce heat better.
- Maintain air humidity.
- Reduce sound well.
- It looks more elegant and traditional.
- Lighter compared to other materials such as concrete.
- Strong compressive power, durable, and sturdy.
- Does not cause noise when exposed to rainwater, unlike roofing materials made from mild steel, zinc, and the like.
- Easy to find.
The disadvantages of using clay roof are:
- Easy to crack and break if it falls or is hit by something.
- Because it is easy to crack, this tile is also prone to leaks.
- Installation that is not precise and neat will allow rainwater seepage to enter between the tiles.
- The installation is done one by one so it will take a long time to install.
- The original color can fade when the temperature is extreme.
- Easily exposed to moss and mold.
4. Concrete Tiles
This type of tile is made of sand, cement material, and fly ash mixed with water and molded, then dried.
Some advantages of concrete tiles are:
Tile roofs can last more than 100 years, especially when installed in the right climate. Concrete tile roofs have outstanding resistance, especially against hail, strong winds, and even fire.
– Insect Resistant
Concrete roof tiles are not easily eaten by termites or other pests that can damage wood or bamboo.
– Environmentally Friendly
Concrete roof tiles are made from ground minerals, not chemicals, and can be crushed and recycled when removed.
– Energy Efficient
Concrete tiles are claimed to be energy efficient because the heavy thermal mass of concrete tiles will help regulate the temperature in the room.
– There is rarely any leakage from the use of concrete roof tiles. It is very rare for a tile roof to require repair or maintenance unless it breaks due to a heavy impact.
While there are many advantages of concrete tiles, still it has some disadvantages. Here are some of them.
Concrete roof tiles can cost two to three times as much as others. But it is worth it for the longer lifespan.
– Complex Installation
Its installation requires a professional roofing contractor with extensive experience. This is because it needs to be measured, laid in a specific pattern, and checked so that no moisture gets in.
After knowing the different types of roofs and their advantages and deciding which one to choose, it would be better to consult with experts about the roofing option you want to choose to get a better point of view.
For those of you who want to know more about the roof so that you can find out more, such as how to repair a damaged roof, tips on maintaining the roof, and other things about the roof, you can visit Howlongdoesrooflast.com.