Discounts on insurance policies for student drivers are common in the US. Insurance companies often do student driving discounts because this practice is part of the culture of treating young drivers. In this case, there are no uniform rules. Each insurance company determines the formats of student discount insurance that it is ready to provide.
Table of Contents
Briefly about this segment of the insurance services market
On the Internet, you can find a lot of thematic information about insurance discounts for students. But most of the data will boil down to a few conclusions:
- As a rule, young drivers pay higher rates, but student discounts can reduce the financial cost. In general, such a policy of insurance companies is clear. The less experience a driver has, the higher the risk of an accident. Therefore, this factor is included in the cost of the policy.
- In most cases, the discount on the policy applies only to a certain part of the students. We are talking about full-time students who have not reached the age of 25-26 years.
- Student discounts may not be for everyone. Sometimes you can achieve more favorable terms of the policy by indicating another driver in it. And sometimes, the experience of safe driving becomes important evidence that the driver is reliable. So – by giving him a discount on the policy, the insurance company is doing the right thing and not to its detriment.
These are the main theses on the topic, what is a good student discount on car insurance and to whom this opportunity is available. Before looking for an answer to the question “what is a good student discount on car insurance in a particular insurance company?”, it is worth delving deeper into the topic.
Good student discount on car insurance: what are the options
When looking for a good student insurance discount, you need to understand the mechanism of functioning of different offers to be able to get the best of them. Many companies offer discounts specifically for high-achieving students. The range of requirements for obtaining car insurance discounts for students may be different, but usually, they look something like this:
- Full-time education.
- Age up to 25 years.
- Unmarried status.
- Grades from B and above.
In such cases, the student can expect a good student insurance discount from many insurance companies.
For distance learning students, discounts are usually less. However, you can still choose an advantageous option. The requirements are usually:
- Live outside the home.
- Study at a college at least 100 miles from home.
- Be included in the parent’s policy.
- Use the car not regularly, but on weekends and holidays.
There is another popular discount format. This is a discount for safe driving. It is granted to those students who already have a few years of driving experience and have not violated traffic rules. In this case, the logic of insurance companies is quite natural. A person who has been driving for several years and has not violated the law seems to be a fairly reliable driver. For insurance companies, these drivers are the best customers because they respect the law and have no problems with the police.
Why do many people choose to combine policies?
To reduce the cost of insurance, many insurance company customers prefer to combine policies. For example, buying a homeowner’s insurance policy and a car insurance policy together can save about $800 per year. So it is quite understandable why people choose this particular solution. On the one hand, it is more expensive to insure two properties at once than one. On the other hand, each of the two policies is cheaper when combined.
Documents to help you get a discount
The answer to the question “How much is a good student discount?” will vary from company to company, as each has its pricing policy. However, it is worth going into more detail about how to confirm compliance with the company’s requirements to receive a discount on the policy. It is quite logical that the company, which sets several such requirements, will consider a system of confirmation of the reasons. So, you need to provide the following information:
- A document confirming the age. If the company has provided that the discount can be used until the age of 25 or 26, it is essential to provide a document that can verify this.
- A document confirming that you are studying on a full-time basis. It is not a problem to obtain this document quickly at your university.
- A certificate that you can use to prove your good grades. It can also be standardized test results. Some companies require them.
In addition to all of the above, there are requirements that the applicant for a discount provide a letter of success signed by the administration of the educational institution.
In a word, a person who wants a student discount must prove that he is not just enrolled in an educational institution but is successfully studying. Whether you’re looking for car insurance for a 20-year-old college student, meeting these criteria is easy. It’s harder for those who wonder how much car insurance is for a 17-year-old per month. Such a young student has a chance for a discount, but one of the arguments that are important to insurance companies will be missing. This is a story of successful driving for several years, which did not have time to form due to age.
A young driver who is a full-time student may qualify for a discounted car insurance policy. In many companies, the requirements for discounts are similar. But there is still a difference. Therefore, to acquire a policy on the most favorable terms, you need to carefully read the various offers.