Few institutions offer this specialised course known as “Aircraft Maintenance Engineering,” which is focused on the upkeep, improvement, and quality control of aircraft. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation has licenced and authorised this course. The International Civil Aviation Organization also recognises this licence on a global scale. If you are someone who wants to build a career in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering then this post will help you understand the process you need to follow to become one. This blog also talks about AME jobs, career prospects, and salary.
Table of Contents
The steps involved in becoming an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer are as follows-
- Eligibility criteria– Basic eligibility criteria for becoming an Aircraft maintenance engineer are the same in most institutions.
- Candidates who have completed a three-year engineering diploma programme in any of the streams or who have passed the 10+2 board exam with PCM.
- Age restriction: 16 to 23.
- No physical impairment.
2) Skills required
Let’s talk about the skills you will require to become a successful Aircraft Maintenance Engineer-
- Proficiency in logic and mathematics.
- Candidates must be able to work carefully and with high precision because even a small error might result in the loss of hundreds of lives on aircraft. AME is a job full of responsibilities.
- They must have strong organisational abilities, be able to collaborate with individuals of all levels, and be effective team players.
- They must also keep up with the most recent maintenance methods and technological advancements.
- They should have problem-solving skills.
- Additionally, they ought to be able to build aircraft, their components, and the supporting machinery by using the concepts of science and technology.
- Selection Of Training Institute– If you have the required skills and eligibility criteria, the next step you have to follow is choosing a training Institute from where you can do Aircraft Engineer courses.
It is very important to choose an Institute, which is DGCA-approved, offers practical training, and provides placement opportunities in reputed companies with a handsome package.
And the institute which meets all the above criteria is the Indian Institute of Aircraft Engineering.
About the AME course at the Indian Institute of Aircraft Engineering-
This course is CAR-147(Basic) compliant and DGCA-approved.
- AIAEE exam- It is an online assessment exam that is conducted once a year throughout India to get admission to IIAE, Dwarka, Delhi. It is a 90 marks exam that consists of questions from physics, chemistry, maths, general Knowledge, and English.
- Selection Process- Selection will be done based on the merit of the AIAEE exam result. The list will be published on the official site of the institution once the result is out.
- AME Course– Once you get admission here, you have to focus on 4 years in your AME course. AME course is of 4 years duration of which 2 years is dedicated to the mechanical stream which is an academic programme and the other 2 years is dedicated to the avionics stream which is practical maintenance experience.
- Placement– In the last semester of your course, IIAE will organise placement drives for you. 90% of students are placed in IIAE placement drives. Indigo, Qatar Airways, Go Air, SpiceJet, and Air India are some of the top recruiters here.
- License– After passing your exam, you will be issued a DGCA- AME license. And you are ready to start your career as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer jobs
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer jobs are considered one of the most lucrative jobs in the aviation industry. There are an ample number of jobs available in various fields for AMEs. A licensed aircraft maintenance engineer can work in these sectors.
- MRO Industries
- Aircraft operation organisations
- Aircraft Manufacturing Companies
- Traveling airlines
- Flying clubs
Many airlines are buying new aircraft which will result in more job openings for AME. As aviation in India is on the boom, Boeing and Airbus are planning to set up their MRO industries in different parts of India. Foreign airlines are also planning to enter the Indian aviation market such as Qatar Airways, WOW Airlines, etc. which will give a boost to the career of AMEs.
Recruiting Organisations (National & International)
Here is the list of recruiting organisations which includes Airlines And MRO.
- Go Air
- Jet Airways
- Deccan Aviation
- Air Deccan
- Titan Aviation
- Etihad Airways
- Japan Airlines
- Korean Air
- Singapore Airlines
- And many more
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Salary
Engineers who work in Aircraft Maintenance have the best pay worldwide and in India relative to all other engineering specialties. An AME makes an average of 8.2 lakhs per year in India.
Salary varies depending on an individual’s credentials, experience, area of specialty, and employer.
Even though the entire world is in a recession, India is currently an emerging nation with the fastest-growing GDP. The Indian aviation sector has expanded significantly as a result of the government’s deregulation and economic growth policies. Government policies such as UDAN have given wings to the aviation industry.
Aircraft maintenance engineers are constantly needed to accommodate the rising demand for passenger airlines, cargo aircraft, private air taxis, business and corporate jets, and defence aircraft.