Dolphin cruises are one of the most exciting activities you can indulge in. However, it will help if you prepare to make the most of this activity. It’s best to consider the weather, cruise company, clothes to wear, and things to bring. With a little bit of research and planning, you are sure to have a great experience during your dolphin cruise.
If you’re going on a scheduled dolphin cruise soon or are still planning to include it in your itinerary, it’s essential to consider a few things to ensure fun and safety. To help you have an unforgettable experience watching dolphins in their natural habitat, we’ve prepared a list of tips for you to consider. Be sure to read it first before you head out on the water and watch dolphins.
Tips for Making the Most of Your Dolphin Cruise Here are the tips to consider before going on a dolphin cruise:
- Read online reviews.
Many dolphin-watching cruise operators are small businesses. Their level of service and offerings can vary greatly. It’s essential to look for and read credible online reviews from other travelers or tourists to see what other people think about the cruises these operators provide.
Some of the things to look for are regular dolphin sightings, the captains’ experience, professionalism, as well as the condition of boats and safety equipment. Listings for reputable businesses should be available on Google Reviews, Yelp, and other popular
- Check the weather forecast.
Knowing the weather forecast is crucial when going on a dolphin cruise. Will it rain? What will the average temperature be for the day? Will it be windy? These things will help you decide if it’s safe to book a dolphin cruise on a specific date. It’s also essential to look out for weather changes during the day of your scheduled dolphin cruise.
- Dress appropriately.
Often, small boats are used to conduct dolphin cruises. There is usually no enclosed space. This means you will be exposed to outdoor conditions, so you have to dress for the weather. Wear a hat that covers your head and doesn’t get blown away by the wind, especially if it’s sunny and windy. Sunglasses and sunscreen are also essential.
Sometimes, the weather is unpredictable. You might encounter wind, rain, or both. To protect yourself, you should have an emergency bag that includes a rain jacket, a waterproof fishing hat, and an umbrella. Additionally, wear shoes that are suitable for boat and sea use. Consider bringing a towel and an extra set of clothes as well.
- Bring snacks and essentials.
Going on a dolphin cruise with a backpack containing essentials is always a smart idea. Some dolphin-watching tour operators may allow you to bring along drinks and snacks. If you plan to bring your own, make sure to check their policies first. You can also bring large Ziploc bags to keep important items, such as mobile phones, dry.
- Bring a camera.
If you want to take decent photos or videos while on a dolphin-watching cruise, it is important that you have the right gear. Since dolphins can be quick and appear for only a few seconds, you will need a high-quality DSLR or mirrorless camera with a sports mode to capture fast bursts of images.
A GoPro or cell phone action camera is a great choice if you are looking to capture videos. These cameras are capable of making adjustments to the lighting and focusing on lots of movements. A gimbal mount is useful for smooth video production due to the
amount of movement between the boat and the dolphins.
Things to Consider Before Going on a Dolphin Cruise
Aside from the tips mentioned above, it’s also essential to consider a few factors to make the most of your dolphin cruise. Here are some of them:
- The Boat – You have to know which type of boat an operator uses before going on a dolphin cruise. This will let you know the size of the ride, its main components, and, most importantly, what motor or engine it has. These factors all impact your safety.
- The Number of People – The boat’s dimensions will tell you how many people can be on the dolphin cruise. It’s possible that you will share the boat with other tourists or travelers. Consider counting all crew members, as it is possible for more people to board the cruise than its maximum capacity.
- The Duration – Ask the tour provider about the duration of the tour. The average dolphin-watching tour lasts for about two hours. Knowing the duration doesn’t only let you know how long you can enjoy the cruise but also allows you to plan ahead for any extras you might need in the event that the tour is extended.
- The Equipment – It is important to find out if your operator’s boat has safety equipment, such as life jackets or emergency radios. These things can make a huge difference in the event you encounter sudden weather changes, unexpectedly strong currents, or other unwanted scenarios.
Heading out on the water for some activities, such as dolphin cruises, is exciting. However, preparations are needed to ensure safety and fun for the entire duration of your dolphin cruise in John’s Pass. Follow the tips we’ve provided, and you’re sure to have the highlight of your trip when you consider doing them.