Do you suffer from back pain? Do you sleep on your side? If you answered yes to both, you should strongly consider using a knee cushion for back pain.
Knee pillows are designed to help improve your sleeping posture and alleviate back pain. They work by aligning your spine and preventing your hips and knees from twisting inwards while you sleep, and it helps keep your spine in a neutral position, which can reduce or prevent back pain.
Ways to source pillows for knees
- Ask for recommendations from your doctor or chiropractor
The guidance of a healthcare professional is always a good place to start when looking for any medical device or pillow. Your doctor or chiropractor will likely have personal experience with different knee pillows and can recommend the best one for your needs.
- Search online reviews
Online reviews are a great way to get unbiased, third-party opinions on products. Look for reviews of knee cushion specifically for back pain to get the most relevant information. Be sure to pay attention to the star ratings and read through the comments to understand better how the pillow worked for other people.
- Try out a few different types before you buy
If you’re not sure which kind of knee pillow will work best for your sleep position, try out a few different types before you make the final purchase. You can go to a store that sells medical equipment and ask someone there for guidance, or you can order sample pillows online and see what works best for you.
- Ask your friends and family if they have a pillow they love
If you’re lucky, someone close to you may already own a knee pillow that alleviates their back pain. Ask them about their experience with the pillow and if they would recommend it to you.
Types of knee pillows for back pain
There are three different types of knee cushions for helping with back pain. It can be confusing because most people use the terms “knee pillow” and “cushion” interchangeably, but they are different. Here are some examples of each type:
- Knee wedge pillow: This looks like a thin donut.
- Knee bolster cushion: The top of this pillow is an oval that rests around your knee joint while the bottom flares out into a broader base to support your leg. Most knee bolsters are filled with foam, but some may use water for better comfort and weight distribution.
- Pillow between the knees: This is a simple pillow that you place in between your knees to help keep them from twisting inwards.
When choosing a pillows for knees, it’s essential to consider the size and shape of the pillow. You don’t want it to be too thin, or your back will arch. If the pillow is too broad, it may be uncomfortable to sleep with. It’s also important to consider how firm you want the pillow. If you like sleeping on your side with a ton of support, try choosing a thicker and more firm foam pillow. If you prefer something softer, go for a pillow that’s filled with down or feathers.