Cabinet Painting is a great way to modernize your kitchen or boost the value of your home without the costs associated with a large renovation. So, naturally, you might be thinking that doing it on your own is an even better way to save more money. But does doing it yourself actually cost less? Or could it actually end up costing you more in the long run?
A few things to consider before you attempt to do-it-yourself:
- You’ve probably never done this before. If it weren’t you, would you hire someone who has never before painted cabinets to do the job for you? Not likely, even if they were a bargain. Professional cabinet painters have years of experience. They know the ins and outs of the trade and how to deliver the best results.
- DIY might actually be more expensive. Yes, you technically only have to purchase the paint (and let’s not forget about the tools you will need to pull off this DIY) but there may be some extra costs. If you make a mistake you could be looking at more money to fix it. Accidents happen. Hiring a professional means having the peace of mind that things were done the right way.
- The expectation versus reality phenomenon. Let’s be honest. We all have a tendency to exaggerate what we think we are actually capable of. I bet you’ve probably thought something along the lines of “painting kitchen cabinets, how hard could that really be?” Harder than you think.
- You’ll save time. Not only will you have the time you would have spent painting your own cabinets to spend on other things, but the professionals will likely do it in a fraction of the time that it would have taken you. The better you get at something, the quicker you’re able to get it done. The same is true for cabinet painters.
- It may cost you a lot more than you considered. Modernizing your kitchen with a fresh coat of paint on your cabinets is a great way to boost the value of your home. But the verse is also true with bad renovations. If you don’t do a fantastic job, not only will it be an eyesore, but it will drag the value of your home down with it.
- If it comes to that, you may find yourself reaching out to a professional home painter to fix the DIY that you thought would be a piece of cake. Just hiring someone to do it initially can save both the time and money that would be spent on trying to do-it-yourself initially.
When it comes to your home, why take the risk? It doesn’t take a lot for a well-meaning DIY to take a turn for the worst. Yes, you could save a few dollars at the end, but is that small bit of change really worth the headache of taking on a new skill while your biggest asset is on the line? Some things are just better when left to professionals.