4 Steps to a Healthier Home

4 Steps to a Healthier Home

Most people spend a lot of time in their homes. Your home is meant to be your safe place, where you can rest and rejuvenate. What if we told you that your home could be making you ill? If not looked after in a particular way, your home can become unhealthy for you. Here are four steps you can take to make your home safer and healthier to live in.

Prevent Mold

Mold and mildew within a home environment are dangerous. They can make you and your family unwell as well as triggering allergies. Symptoms such as sneezing, a runny nose, and a skin rash are some of the physical symptoms.

Sometimes it can be easy to identify mold on the walls and ceiling due to the musty smell and black spots. These are commonly found in areas that are a little damp. However, you should also be aware that mold can also be hidden behind surfaces and cupboards. If the area is smaller than 10 square feet, then you can treat the area using a bleach and water solution. For bigger areas, it is advisable to call in the experts. To prevent mold and mildew, try to remove the source of damp and ensure good ventilation.

Reduce the Use of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)

Image via Flickr by AMagill

Volatile organic compounds are found in many household products such as aerosol sprays, household cleaners, paints, etc. Signs and symptoms that you are being affected by VOCs include irritation to your eyes, nose, and throat, headaches, and nausea. More serious symptoms include damage to your liver, kidney and central nervous system. Try switching to natural products when cleaning, such as white vinegar, bicarbonate of soda, and lemon juice. You will be really surprised at how effective these products are in the fight against grime and grease.

Remove Dust

Dead skin cells from humans and pets are a major food source for dust mites. Dust mites, along with the dust itself it a major cause of allergies. Make sure you dust surfaces regularly and vacuum throughout your home. Regular cleaning and replacing the vents on your HVAC system are both very important.  Having a professional clean your HVAC air vents can significantly improve allergy symptoms due to the improvement of air quality in your home.

Avoid Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever a material is burned, such as in stoves, boilers, and gas appliances. Some of the symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, weakness, nausea, shortness of breath, and loss of consciousness. If you experience any of these, it is important that you seek medical advice straight away. Make sure all of your gas appliances have been safety checked and make sure each level of your house is fitted with a carbon monoxide detector if you use anything that can emit carbon monoxide.

With a few simple changes and additions, the health of your home will improve. What’s more, you will soon see changes to your own health and that of your families. So what are you waiting for? Take these steps to have a healthier home and a healthier you.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here