In some cities, such as Baton Rouge, Louisiana, medical marijuana has seen a surge in popularity in recent years. Medical marijuana is being utilized to treat a variety of health conditions, including anxiety, now that it is less stigmatized and more widely available. If you aren’t sure you qualify for MMJ, visit our website and talk to our doctors today. Let’s see can you get a medical card for anxiety in Banton Rouge.
What are Anxiety Disorders?
Anxiety disorders are a type of mental health problem. If you have an anxiety disorder, you may experience fear and dread in response to particular items and circumstances. You can also notice physical symptoms of anxiety, such as a racing heart or sweating.
They go beyond the normal worry and fear you may experience from time to time. Anxiety disorders occur when:
- Anxiety makes it difficult for you to function.
- When something provokes your emotions, you frequently overreact.
- You have little control over how you react to things.
What Causes Anxiety?
Anxiety disorders are similar to other types of mental illness in that they are characterized by a lack of control over one’s emotions.
A number of factors are at play such as:
- Chemical imbalance: Prolonged or severe stress can alter the chemical balance that regulates your mood. An anxiety disorder can develop when a person is exposed to a lot of stress over a lengthy period of time.
- Environmental factors: A traumatic event may set off an anxiety disorder, especially in someone who has a genetic predisposition to develop one.
- Heredity: Anxiety disorders can have the tendency to run in families. You may inherit them from one or both parents, like hair color.
Types of Anxiety Disorders
There are several types of anxiety disorders, including:
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Panic disorder
- Separation anxiety
Anxiety disorders have characteristics with other mental health issues. Post-traumatic stress disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder are two among them.
Anxiety Disorder Symptoms
The symptoms of anxiety disorders differ depending on the type. Anxiety disorder symptoms in general include:
- Cold or sweaty hands
- Dry mouth
- Heart palpitations
- Numbness or tingling in hands or feet
- Muscle tension
- Shortness of breath
- Feeling panic, fear and uneasiness
- Recurrent memories or flashbacks of terrible events
- Uncontrollable, obsessive thoughts
- Inability to be still and calm
- Ritualistic behaviors, hand washing is an example of ritualistic practice.
- Trouble sleeping
Anxiety Disorder Treatments
Anxiety disorders are not cured with medication. Nevertheless, they can help you feel better and function better. Medications used to treat anxiety disorders frequently include:
- Anti-anxiety medications – Benzodiazepines, for example, can help with anxiety, panic, and concern. They work swiftly, but you can get used to them with time. As a result, they become less effective with time. Your doctor may give an anti-anxiety drug for a brief period of time and then taper you off, or he or she may add an antidepressant to the mix.
- Antidepressants – can also aid in the treatment of anxiety disorders. They change how specific chemicals in your brain are used to boost mood and reduce stress. Be patient as antidepressants may take some time to work. If you’re ready to quit taking antidepressants, speak with your doctor first.
- Medical marijuana – many people feel marijuana can help them cope with their anxiety. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information’s 2017 national survey, 81 percent of over 9,000 Americans believe marijuana provides one or more health benefits. “Anxiety, tension, and sadness decrease” was one of the potential benefits mentioned by nearly half of the respondents.
- Beta-blockers – are commonly used to treat high blood pressure, but they can also aid in the reduction of certain physical symptoms associated with anxiety disorders. They can help with rapid heartbeat, trembling, and shaking.