Did you ever watch those commercials where every single girl has great-looking hair? Something that you would wish for yourself. The shine, the lustre, the length-everything seems to be perfect! Alas! The truth is always ugly. You and your frizzy hair that doesn’t even allow you to wear your favourite style, let alone styling to your heart’s desire. People tend to wear a range of styles, but forget to take care of their hair in the long run. Curling, straightening, blow-drying, such processes daily can take a heavy toll on your hair. The question is, how does one draw the line between keeping your hair stylized and keeping it healthy? What if I tell you, the key to long and healthy hair lay inside your kitchen. To be more precise, seven such items that can be found in any kitchen can be an excellent source of nourishment for anyone who wishes to achieve great looking hair that shines every day! So, what are you waiting for? Read on to find out more.
Onions are a long preferred natural source of strength for your hair follicles. Owing to its anti-oxidant and anti-microbial traits, the juice of onion helps eradicate your scalp from bacteria promoting hair growth. For some people, onion juice can lead to undue irritation, and hence it is advised that you run a patch test before you take to application on your scalp. Here’s how to go about deriving the juice from onions:
- Chop down onions roughly.
- Use a grinder to blend them with the help of water.
- Add a few drops of essential oils.
- Use a muslin cloth to strain the water and use the same across your scalp and down your hair.
High in protein, Methi is known to bring ready nourishment to one’s hair with regular usage. The presence of Nicotinic Acid also aids one’s hair growth along with Lecithin, which is a determining property to help rejuvenate the hair follicles. Follow the procedure as listed below:
- Start by soaking fenugreek seeds overnight and blend the same with water.
- Apply the solution to your scalp and down your hair.
- Leave it for an hour or so before you rinse it off.
Egg & Curd
Another age-old method of offering nourishment to your tender hair follicles is using a combination of egg yolk with curd. The curd or the yogurt acts as a natural conditioner to your hair, thus helping to retain natural moisturizers and make it ultra-soft.
- Start by beating one egg and mix 2-3 tablespoons of curd to it
- Whip it and apply the mask to your hair slowly with a brush
Aloe Vera Gel
Sometimes referred to as a miracle plant, Aloe Vera has excellent healing properties to help restore damaged hair. Owing to the presence of proteolytic enzymes that works to remove dead skin cells, Aloe Vera leaves a cooling sensation across your scalp while also acting to smoothen your hair for a light; shiny feel when you rinse away with a single wash.
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf and slice it on one of the sides
- Scrap out the gel from insides of the leaf and apply the same to your scalp
- Keep it for an hour at least, before you rinse it off.
Amla & Lemon
Both Amla and Lemon are high in Vitamin C content, which works on hair roots to help offer nourishment to the scalp. Besides, Amla and Lemon are also high in iron as well as carotene, which is proven to impact hair growth in the best manner possible. One can even resort to using Amla Hair Oil that carries the goodness of Amla and Lemon in abundance. Here’s how to go about creating a mixture of Amla and Lemon :
- Mix Amla and Lemon juice inside a container.
- Give it a good mix before you apply the solution.
- Leave it for 10-12 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo.
Banana and Honey
When it comes to shine and luster for your hair, Honey works as emollient and also contains antiseptic properties that keep your scalp fresh and away from blemishes. On the other hand, when we include banana, they act as a rich source of potassium to impart the much-needed strength.
- Start by mashing two bananas and mix it with at least half a cup of Honey.
- Add a little bit of tablespoon oil.
- Apply from root of the hair to the tip and keep it for a good 25-30 minutes before the final wash.
Potatoes are a rich source of vitamins that works towards offering nourishment and strength to hair follicles. Regular application of potato juice to your camp and hair helps clear out the clogged pores.
- Start by cutting potatoes into small pieces.
- Blend them in a mixer towards a smooth consistency.
- Use a muslin cloth to strain the juice and transfer it to a spray bottle for ease of application.
So, every time you are working in your kitchen, you might as well prepare yourself various hair masks and try them out every alternate day, working up a routine. Over time, you will witness your hair becoming soft, strong, and healthy with added luster and shine!