With their instant results and hassle-free application, masking has taken the beauty world by storm. When part of a holistic skincare routine, masking can bring about noticeable changes to the skin. They are hydrating, soothing and overall has a therapeutic charm that is hard to miss. Here, we will discuss about the goodness of sheet masks especially a charcoal mask.
No wonder, beauty bloggers and lifestyle gurus are raving about face masks, with Korean brands leading them in the forefront. Even high-end spa services have looped in face masks as a part of their facial package, owing to the increasing craze for the procedure. From DIY options to the easier sheet mask, masking is here to stay. This ultimate skincare weapon is even endorsed by supermodels and celebrity makeup artists.
Bella Hadid, the face of Dior Makeup, swears by sheet masks to rejuvenate her skin after rough jetlag. While talking to Allure, Hadid candidly admitted to being a fan of drugstore sheet masks, stating that she always grabs one. She said that she loves to grab sheet masks and the best ones are from Korea. She also went onto say that Korean sheet masks are way better than the ones she gets in America.
A step-by-step guide for glowing skin
Worrying about that Instagram worthy radiant skin will get you nowhere! Even the biggest supermodels follow a daunting skincare routine that demands utmost dedication. Each step from cleansing, toning to moisturizing needs to be seamlessly followed for flaunting that picture-perfect no-makeup look. Though masking may seem like a quick fix in times of fashion emergencies, it will not serve you in the long run. Masking can be a great compliment to your overall routine and is the easiest way to pamper your skin after a tiring day.
The first step of your skincare routine should always begin with cleansing. Remember, beauty is personal! So, don’t just blindly swear by products someone recommends. Take time out of your busy lives to research the kind of face wash that is best suited for your skin. A proper face cleanser serves as the stepping stone for healthy, glowing skin.
PS: Remember that cleansing is not limited to just washing your face with soap. It also includes removing your makeup before hitting the sack.
Here is a detailed overview of the best type of cleansers according to skin type:
- Light Foaming Cleansers: Foaming cleansers are brilliant options for those who prefer mild yet effective cleansers. Light foaming cleansers are apt for people with acne-prone and oily skin. This gentle cleanser effectively removes dirt, makeup, and excess sebum without stripping the skin of its natural moisture balance. Infused with nurturing conditioners, these will do wonders if you face frequent break-outs.
- Gel Cleansers: Yet another worthy accomplice for your glowing skin, gel cleansers are the current rage. Designed specifically for deep cleansing, these are experts at unclogging pores while gently removing the excess oil and pimple-causing bacteria.
- Cream & Lotion based Cleansers: If you are troubled by the drying effect of cleansers, these will be right up your alley. The cream and lotion cleansers serve as the Holy Grail for those with dry and aging skin. These not only cleanse from deep within but also moisturizes the skin in the process. Its silky texture and soapy base make it apt for removing stubborn makeup.
- Oil-based Cleansers: The new kid in the block, oil-based cleansers are the best option for a deep, double cleanse. These handy cleansers go with all skin types and are excellent at dissolving makeup and excess sebum from the skin. The replenishing oils gently melt away makeup and other impurities while charging the skin with nourishing vitamins.
It is of utmost importance to follow up on the cleansing routine with proper toning. Toning not only removes the residual dirt and makeup but also helps restore the natural pH level of the skin. Facial toners work as a miracle for acne-prone skin as it instantly closes pores and tightens the gaps, thereby preventing the entry of impurities and pollutants into the skin. You may choose from a wide variety of facial toners that are available on Amazon or opt for the more pocket-friendly drugstore ones.
Using just a moisturizer will no longer suffice! Our skin bears the brunt of long nights, hangovers, jet lags and quick fixes throughout the week. To restore it to its youthful glory is no easy feat. Hence, beauty experts across the globe are gushing about masking as an essential ingredient for healthy, young skin and, charcoal masks as the next big beauty trend. The charcoal mask is one of the most popular owing to its magical effect on removing toxins from the skin. Let’s further delve into the magical world of facial masks and sheet masks to answer the persisting question- do face masks work?
The goodness of the charcoal mask
The Internet is obsessed with a charcoal mask and for good reasons too! Charcoal activated beauty products are the current trendsetters in the market owing to their myriad benefits on the skin. Activated charcoal used in cosmetics is extremely absorbent and comes from heating carbon enriched materials to very high temperatures. Thus, charcoal activated products are great at absorbing impurities from the skin, leaving it tender and supple. Perhaps, the most sought after benefit of the charcoal mask is its unparalleled detoxifying ability and budget-friendly price.
As one goes through the day, a multitude of factors contributes to toxin build-up under the skin. Extreme exposure to sunlight, environmental pollutants, disrupted sleep patterns, undue stress, and synthetic cosmetics lead to toxins building up and finding their way under the epidermis. Excessive toxins in the skin can not only dull its appearance but also induce premature aging. Face masks with activated charcoal thoroughly pulls out toxins from the deepest layers of the skin to restore its brightness. It also helps to remove blackheads and reduce the occurrence of pimples.
Excessive oil production can be tiresome, especially when it leads to severe breakouts. Activated charcoal in skincare masks helps balance sebum levels by absorbing excess oil secretion by the sebaceous glands. Thus, charcoal masks are great allies of those with oily skin. If you have dry or flaky skin, it is best to not use the charcoal mask more than once a week.
Pro tip: Use a charcoal mask after exfoliating the skin, 2-3 times a week. It will draw out impurities and make the skin tone even.
What more to do with a charcoal mask
If you are not a fan of over the counter charcoal solutions, here are some easy substitutes. This blog has just the recipes to whip up a personalized charcoal mask, more suited to your skin.
The Charcoal-Aloe Face Mask
- 1 tsp activated charcoal
- 1 tsp pure aloe vera gel
- 1-2 drops of peppermint oil
- Take a small, clean bowl to mix the ingredients. Start by mixing a teaspoon of activated charcoal with aloe vera gel to form a smooth paste. If you want the real deal, you can use the juice from an aloe plant.
- Add 1-2 drops of peppermint oil to the aloe-charcoal mix. Peppermint oil has a soothing smell and a calming effect on the skin. Be sure to not add much as it may tingle. Mix it with a spatula and the paste will be ready.
- Now, use the spatula to evenly spread the paste across your face and neck. Be sure to avoid the eyebrows and the areas around the eyes and lips.
- Allow the charcoal mask to sit for 10-15 minutes. Leave it to dry for no more than 20 minutes.
- Once dried, peel it off carefully from one end to another and voila! Hello, radiant skin.
Pro tip: If you find it difficult to peel off the mask, just wash it with lukewarm water.
Charcoal-Clay Face Mask
- 1 tsp activated charcoal powder
- 1 tsp Bentonite clay
- ½ tsp of honey
- 3 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 1 tsp of water
- Again start with taking a clean bowl for the mix. The first step is to mix the activated charcoal powder and bentonite clay.
- Now, add honey to the charcoal, clay mixture and stir well. This will leave you with a thick paste.
- The next step involves adding water to the paste to lend it an even texture. Stir the paste till the mix is thoroughly blended.
- Add tea tree oil to the paste and stir it once again to distribute the oil across the mixture. Allow it to sit for two minutes.
- Apply the charcoal mask evenly across the face and neck, barring the eyebrows and lips.
- Allow it to dry for 15 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this up by moisturizing your face with a hydrating gel or serum. If redness occurs, you may use a witch hazel toner to further soothe the skin.
Pro tip: Repeated use of the charcoal mask can shrink pores and tighten skin.
Everything charcoal: Reaping the benefits
By now, beauty bloggers and social media have made us memorize the effectiveness of the charcoal mask. But what makes charcoal a powerful ingredient in cosmetic products?
According to Medical News Today, the odorless black powder was often used in emergency rooms to treat overdoses. Credited with possessing toxin-absorbing properties, the flimsy powder soon became a trending celebrity owing to its ability to purify. Since the skin is unable to absorb charcoal, the toxins bind themselves to the charcoal particles, making them easy to remove from the skin.
Though there is no scientifically conclusive data on the benefits of activated charcoal, the world remains unfazed by its luminous glory. Medical practitioners across the world have relied on activated charcoal powder made from coconut shells to administer minor skin infections. It is believed that activated charcoal exerts an antibacterial effect by efficiently absorbing the harsh microbes from wounds.
Decoding the secret of sheet mask
If you are frequent to social media, you have surely caught up on the sheet mask trend. The leading cosmetic stores and eCommerce sites are buzzing with sheet mask recommendations for that flawless skin. Korean skin advancements combined two of the Internet's hottest sensations to give you charcoal sheet masks. These are cheaper, easier to use and less painful than the peel-off charcoal mask. The Korean charcoal facial sheet mask is easily available in the market and, one can choose from a number of reliable options. Just head over to the store or site and find one that befits your needs. Making skincare easier, sheet masks give almost instant results and are hassle-free.
- For oily to combination skin, opt for a charcoal mask with clay. Clay and charcoal are reputable for their oil-absorption properties. Besides, charcoal will purify the skin, shrink pores and improve the skin tone from dull to radiant. It is also instrumental for deep cleansing of the skin.
- For dry skin, go for a charcoal mask with hydrating elements like hyaluronic acid, olive oil, or jojoba oil.
Steps to remember for using a sheet mask:
- Unfold the mask gently and carefully place it along the contours of your face. Ensure that the area around the eyes stays uncovered.
- Let the mask sit for 20 minutes. Do not use the mask for more than 30 minutes as it may reverse the results and dry it out.
- Gently pat the residual serum in circular motions until it is fully absorbed. Use the remaining serum in the sheet mask and the package for your neck and elbows.
- Do not wash your face after masking. If the skin feels dry, use a lightweight gel or serum to lock in the moisture.
Seal the deal with a healthy diet
While hydrating the skin goes a long way to maintaining youthfulness, it also applies to the body. A healthy diet and proper hydration are mandates for beautiful, glowing skin. If you are following all that and using the right beauty routines, you will have gorgeous skin to flaunt to the world.