You’re getting dressed for an important occasion and take a look at the mirror. You’re very pleased with what you see. Your makeup looks stunning, and your outfit fits perfectly. Now, the only thing left to do is pick out the accessories that best match your outfit.
You try on several pieces from your jewelry stash and begin wondering what works with what you’re wearing and what doesn’t. You distinctly remember what famous style icon, Coco Chanel, once said, “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take at least one thing off.” It’s probably good fashion advice to follow, but for now, you’re still in a quandary. Will pairing drop earrings with a pearl necklace look too dressy? Diamond studs are undeniably classy; however, you’re worried that their elegance will be overshadowed with the clothes you have on.
If you had gone through this confusing experience before, you’re not alone. Deciding on the right outfit-jewelry combination is a situation many women, and also some men, face. So, why bother accessorizing then? Although your outfit might be the most noticeable, it’s the accessories you wear that bring the whole ensemble together. Simply put, jewelry has the ability to give that extra oomph, transforming an otherwise plain getup to being stylish with just a few well-chosen pieces.
Tips on outfit-jewelry pairing
While you might not be blessed with the keen fashion sense of an Audrey Hepburn or Jacqueline Onassis, this doesn’t mean you can’t look your best. Here are some tips to give you more confidence the next time you pick out what jewelry to wear.
- For daily wear, jewelry with simple designs will do the trick. Since you’ll be wearing them a lot, it’d be wise to invest in classic pieces like a pair of diamond stud or hoop earrings, and a long chain necklace. These pieces are so versatile that you can pair them with any outfit.
- Rings and bracelets which can be stacked one after the other are becoming popular these days. You can use them creatively to showcase your individuality. Don’t be shy in mixing different metals or gemstones in various colors and shapes.
- Personalized jewelry is also an excellent way to express your unique personality. You’ll love wearing them not only for the way they look but also for the emotional or sentimental value they have. You can, for instance, have a necklace custom-engraved with your name or initials, or wear a ring set with your birthstone. Despite their specialized nature, personalized pieces are quite easy to come by these days because of the many online shops selling them. You need only to find a useful link, choose what you like, and place your order.
- If your wardrobe’s dominant colors are the solid and neutral hues of black, blue, white, and beige, a great way to glam it up is by wearing colorful gems. Black and white go well with any shade; thus, you can pair your little black dress with diamonds, sapphires, emeralds or rubies. For a bolder fashion statement, you can match complementary colors too. A ruby necklace would beautifully contrast against a navy blue blouse, just as emerald drop earrings would with a red dress.
- Pearls are must-haves in your collection. They’re classically elegant and will never go out of style. Unlike other precious stones that are mined underground, they’re sourced from a watery environment. Take inspiration from the ocean when you wear them. You’ll never go wrong when you combine pearls with an ensemble that features green and blue tones, or even overcast grays.
It’s said that people wear jewelry to express themselves and to feel good. The next time you put on a ring, bracelet, necklace, or a pair of earrings, bear in mind where the focus should be – you. You’re the one showing who you are with the jewelry you have on. So, go ahead and wear your outfits and jewelry. By using the suggestions above, you can then confidently reveal to the world your true personality and sense of style.