Your basement should not just be the place where you keep your old, used or broken items. It should also not be left empty or dark and creepy. If you do not have enough space in your house, the basement can provide you with the space that you need. If you are considering renovating your home and you have no idea on what to do to your basement, here are a few ideas that might help.
- Apply a fresh coat of paint–The first step to making your basement more appealing is to apply a fresh and bright coat of paint. Most basements are dark so applying a bright coat of paint will help it to look brighter. Before doing this, you should remove all the items in your basement. You can even resell some of your old items that are still in good shape.
- Add more lights–Adding more lights to your basement will make it more appealing to your children. Children are afraid of dark spaces. They might not go to the basement if it is dark. Other than applying a fresh coat of paint, you can add a few lights to make the room look bright.
- Change the flooring –A beautiful basement floor will give you lots of ideas about your basement. It might even make you think of changing it into a place where your children can play, where you and your partner can relax after work or where you can hang out with friends during the weekend. If you have no idea on what to do to your basement floor, you can search for renovators such as Austin fanning GC, LLC who will help with ideas.
- Add cabinets and dining furniture–If your dining area is small or you have limited storage in your kitchen, you can add a few cabinets in the basement and buy some new and well designed dining furniture. In addition to these, you can also add a fireplace where you and your family can enjoy the warmth as you have your food. If you already have a fireplace, you can change the stonework in a way that the floor will be illuminated.
- Games– If you or your children love games, you can add a few games and gaming tables where both you and your children can play games. You can place a pool table and a few children games that will be enjoyed by all.
- Add more room– If the rooms close to your basement are small, you can add a section of the basement to each room so that they have a downstairs. This will be most beneficial if you have children and their rooms are small.
Turn it into a guest room–If you do not have a guestroom in your house, you can design the basement to be an extra bedroom for your guests. You can also add an extra bathroom and toilet for your guests to use while they are at your home.