Over the last couple of years, the world’s population has been experiencing some drastic changes in how work and social interactions are perceived and conducted. Working remotely has become the new normal for thousands across the globe.
If you are one of those people, have you ever thought about escaping your everyday life to live in a custom-designed and super-sophisticated shipping container home—one that is mobile and can move to anywhere you’d like to be?
Converting shipping containers into long-term living spaces has become a popular and worthwhile tradition for many people wanting to escape the mundane. Furthermore, what some folks may not realize is that a shipping container can be fully customized — you can even introduce natural light to your shipping container with skylights and other enticing window fixtures.
Read on to discover the benefits of shipping container living, and some tips on how to tailor your container home to your personal needs and home décor.
Table of Contents
What is a Shipping Container Home?
When you hear the term “shipping container,” living in one may not be the first thing that comes to mind. However, people have been choosing shipping containers as alternatives to conventional home living for several decades. In fact, the first officially recorded container home was recorded in 1987 by a man named Phillip Clark.
Basically, a shipping container home is built out of strong and durable steel, converted into a livable, sustainable, and comfortable living space. It is one example of storage container architecture, and home designs are continuously expanding to become more interesting, innovative, and appealing to homeowners.
Why Build a Shipping Container Home?
The benefits for wanting to build a shipping container home are endless. Some of these include:
- It Is cost effective. Conventional housing often requires more building materials and labour than shipping container homes, so prices are often significantly lower.
- They take less time to build than a conventional house. Depending on the complexities of the design, a container home can take under a month to construct. Furthermore, you can also order your shipping container from a shipping container site online and have them deliver it right where you want it.
- You can let your imagination run wild with interior design ideas. To give your new living space warmth, natural light, and personality, consider adding skylights and lots of windows.
- Shipping containers are mobile. If you’re feeling tied down and aching for some adventure in your life, converting a container into a portable home that can safely and easily move with the aid of a bed truck or flat bed.
- They are durable and long-lasting. The best types of shipping containers are made of high-grade COR-TEN steel, which means they can withstand harsh weather conditions, pests, and other outside nuisances.
If you’ve been pondering the idea of doing something different and bringing some adventure into your working and home life, investing in a shipping container home might be the solution you’ve been looking for.