Carpet cleaning may seem easy, but it’s not as it may seem. There are some common mistakes people make that can damage carpets. You must take extra precautions to maintain the carpet and have it last longer.
You should learn about your mistakes and ensure your carpets stay in the best shape. This post breaks down some common carpet cleaning mistakes people make.
1. Using a Wrong Cleaner
Using the wrong cleaner on the carpet can cause damage in various ways.
- A wrong cleaning product could shed a residue that can attract dirt and soil particles.
- A wrong cleaner may cause the carpet to become dull, discolored, worn down or even matted.
- If a strong cleaner is used on delicate carpets, it can cause color fading or even permanent damage to the carpet.
Using the right cleaning product for your carpet is essential, as even the wrong cleaning methods may cause damage. Ensure you prepare a test patch that will assess the reaction of a chemical to your carpet to avoid bleaching and damaging the carpet fibers.
2. Overusing Deodorizer
Using too much deodorizer on carpets can lead to many issues. The products are intended to be used sparingly and applied with a light hand.
- Using too much deodorizer can cause the carpet fibers to become overly saturated, leading to discoloration or fading of the carpet.
- The deodorizer can accumulate in the fibers and cause a sticky residue.
- Deodorizer residue can attract dirt, dust, and other debris, making it difficult to keep the carpet clean.
- The excessive use of deodorizer can cause issues with indoor air quality, as the product can release chemicals into the atmosphere.
To avoid these issues, use deodorizer only sparingly on carpets and ensure that it is properly distributed by using a fan or air blower.
Over Wetting carpet can have serious consequences, leading to discoloration, mold growth, and other issues.
- Excess water seeping into the fibers of the carpet can cause it to become soft, weak, and matted down.
- Overwetting also exposes the carpet to dirt, stains, and other contaminants.
- Excessive moisture allows mold to grow and spread, leading to a musty odor that can be hard to remove.
- The over-wetting of carpet can cause the backing and adhesive to break down, leading to delamination or discoloration. You will incur more expenditure on replacement due to adhesive breaking.
To avoid these issues, you should always blot up spills and use an extraction method when cleaning the carpet. That will help to remove excess water and prevent damage from occurring over time.
Carpets are designed to be durable, but too much scrubbing can damage the fibers and even cause discoloration.
- Over-scrubbing can cause the pile to be matted down, eventually leading to a pile reversal.
- A pile reversal due to over-scrubbing may cause the tips of the fibers to become crushed, making it look like the carpet is going in the opposite direction.
- Over-scrubbing may cause the dirt particles to be pushed down deeper into the pile, making it harder to remove them.
- If dirt particles are pushed down, they can make the carpet look dingy and discolored, as dirt particles get trapped in the fibers and cause fading.
- Over-scrubbing can break the yarns of the carpet and lead to fraying or unraveling.
The best way to clean carpets is to use a vacuum or steam cleaner and, if necessary, spot-treat stains with an approved carpet cleaning solution. The method will help protect your carpets and ensure their durability.
5. Leaving Spills Unattended
Leaving spills unattended on a carpet is highly detrimental.
- Spills can further damage your carpet, including staining and discoloration.
- In addition, liquids can seep down into the fibers of the carpet and cause mold growth which can cause foul smells or wear down the carpet.
- If spills are left unattended for too long, they can lead to permanent damage, such as a fiber break that you cannot fix.
Cleaning up spills as soon as possible is essential by using a damp cloth or paper towels and blotting the area. That will help prevent further damage and keep your carpet looking new.
Consider the Services of a Professional Carpet Cleaner
Some professional carpet cleaners use the most advanced cleaning solutions to ensure your carpets look their best. They also have specialized tools, such as hot water extraction machines, to remove dirt and stains from carpets.
Carpet cleaners also use special techniques to help protect the fibers of your carpet’s fibers and prevent future wear and tear. They are trained in the latest cleaning techniques to restore your carpets to their original condition without damaging them. Besides removing dirt and grime, they also help to revive the colors of your carpets, making them look brand new.