When we are buying clothes, accessories, and other items, we want them to serve as long as there is a need for them. So, lifespan is one of the key parameters we consider before the purchase of a human hair wig. It is important to ensure that it will not be shedding, will not fade, or lose shape in a month of use.
In this article, we are going to provide you with tips about how to make a human hair wig last longer.
Table of Contents
How long does a human hair wig last?
Normally, a human hair wig lasts for about three years. But, of course, its lifespan depends on its quality, intensity of use, storage conditions, and the personal experience of a wearer. You can shorten the life to one year and prolong it for an indefinite period. Also, it depends on its state, which a user agrees to accept. Someone may use a wig until it is heavily worn out, while others refuse to put it on at the first signs of wear and tear.
You should understand that wigs usually require high maintenance and proper hair care products, which will help to keep them fresh even with daily wear.
What are the factors that influence wig longevity?
As we have mentioned, there are three key factors that determine the use period of a human hair wig.
- Initial parameters are one of the important factors. The manufacturers provide wigs of various qualities at different prices. It means that, initially, they will have various lifespans. You may buy a cheaper one and, regardless of your approach, replace it in half a year.
- Proper care does matter. This is an obvious item. The way you treat your accessories impacts their lifespan. Follow the instructions and you will prevent early damage to the cap and hair.
- The frequency of use is very important. If you wear your human hair wig every day and do it carelessly, you will wear it out much faster than the average lifespan. If you put it on three times a month, you will enjoy it for longer than three years, provided that it is stored in the proper way.
7 things you may do to prolong the lifespan of wigs
Make your human hair wig worth your expense and adhere to the following rules to enjoy its beauty for an extended period.
Wash it regularly
There is a common procedure that allows treating a wig with care:
- First, you should remember that a regular wig is recommended to be worn for no longer than 12 hours in a row. If you keep to this schedule, you are expected to wash it every two weeks.
- For washing, you should buy high-quality wig-friendly shampoos and conditioners.
- Use only lukewarm water, avoiding high temperatures when you wash your wig.
- Before washing, it is important to brush a human hair wig with a wide-tooth comb to detangle it. Remember, when the hair is washed and still wet, it should not be brushed.
- You should tap the wet hair with a soft 100% cotton towel to remove the water. Avoid rubbing and twisting.
- Place it on a wig head or stand and dry it with the use of a blow dryer, choosing low temperatures. If you are not in a hurry, it is better to let it dry up naturally.
Use appropriate hair care products
To wash, care for, and style the hair of your wig, you should choose high-quality products. The shampoo will remove dirt, dust, and oils. It is obvious that you can not do without it. But you should use the conditioner too. It will soften the human hair fiber, making it smooth, shiny, and beautiful. You may try several products, see the result, and choose the one that suits you. There are various products for styling. It is important to use them for their purpose.
Do not go too far with styling
Hair processing can damage the hair or contribute to the short life of the accessory. Even if a producer allows coloring and other treatments with the use of chemicals, you should not do these procedures too frequently.
Do not forget about protection
Here we speak about external factors which can be harmful to a human hair wig. Severe weather conditions, straight sunlight, heat, or, on the contrary, frost can cause dryness and fading of the hair. You are expected to understand that salt water if you swim in the sea, or chemicals in the water from a pool, will also reduce its lifespan. And by the way, the continuous excessive sunlight does not only change the color of the hair, but it can result in the breakage of the hair fibers.
It is suggested that you buy a cheaper wig for extreme conditions. If your human hair wig gets wet in the rain, you should place it on a special stand and dry it up. But it would be better to have an umbrella or a scarf with you to protect your head in case of snow or rain.
Store the wig properly
Storage is vital. There are two situations: when you place a human hair wig on a stand for a couple of days or weeks and when you hide it for half a year for the next season or occasion. The requirements differ in these two cases:
- Short-term storage means that the wig is not folded. It holds its shape and is aired properly. Here you should think of protection from dust and sunlight. The wig stand should be located in a dry place away from incoming solar beams. And you are recommended to cover your wig with a thin and lightweight scarf to prevent dust accumulation.
- Long-term storage means that a human hair wig should be folded from ear to ear and placed into a clean, dry box or package which is kept in a cool, dry, and dark place like your wardrobe. The bags can be made of silk or satin. The boxes can be made from plastic or cardboard.
Buy a number of wigs for various purposes
If you want to wear a wig every day or frequently on a regular basis, it is much better to have several variants. We speak not only about styles but also about the quality of the items. You may even have the same wigs to change when there is a need for washing, you can shop wigs that accept Afterpay to make your shopping more flexible.
Reduce frequency of use
Of course, this is not the way out, but if you have a gorgeous, very expensive wig and want to enjoy it as long as possible, just wear it for special occasions only. Avoid using it under extreme conditions.
Well, if you follow the above recommendations, you will prolong the lifespan of your human hair wig, maintaining its natural-looking beauty.