Portugal Golden Visa Program is a very popular residency by investment schedule worldwide. It has provided residency in Portugal to over 10,000 global investors.
Applicants have also received visa-free entrance to the Schengen area, and they’ve included their families in the program.
Table of Contents
How Does Portugal Golden Visa Attract International Investors?
Many factors have been effective in the investors’ decision in applying for Portugal Golden Visa. To give you an idea, you can see some below:
- There is more than one investment option to choose from. In addition to that, the options are very affordable
- Portugal Golden Visa holders can enter the Schengen area visa-free
- It’s possible to become a Portuguese citizen in five years
- It’s sufficient to stay in Portugal for seven days each year
- Portugal provides an affordable and safe place for both yourself and your family. Other systems like education, health, or even infrastructure are quite developed in Portugal.
Let’s get into more details.
About Portugal Golden Visa Program
Also known as ARI, Portugal Golden Visa is a residency program for non-EU citizens. Benefitting both sides, the program allows capital inflow into the country while providing residency for the investor. It has raised more than €6 billion since 2012.
If you meet certain criteria, you can apply for citizenship or permanent residency as well.
Other Benefits of Golden Visa For Portugal
There are lots of advantages Portugal Golden Visa 2022 offers potential applicants. For example, it provides affordable investment requirements as low as €280,000. The amount is one of the lowest in Europe.
Citizenship brings you visa-free access to a total of 188 countries. Even if you don’t become a Portuguese citizen, you can still have access to 26 Schengen countries.
Golden Visa to Portugal allows you to live, study and work in Portugal. Full-time residency in Portugal entails medical insurance. Yet, access to public education and healthcare services will be available. You can choose to send your children to public or private schools. While public schools follow the Portuguese curriculum, private international schools follow American or British curriculums.
You can work anywhere in the country through your work permit provided by Golden Visa for Portugal. It’s also possible to start a new business or run your business in Portugal.
Another advantage of the Portugal Golden Visa is that your family can apply to the program simultaneously with you. The following family members can apply with you:
- Your spouse
- Your children under 18 years of age
- Your dependent children under 26 years of age only if they’re not married and are full-time students
- Your parents over 65 years of age.
You can be a tax resident in Portugal if you spend more than 183 days a year in Portugal. If not, you’ll not be subject to any tax responsibilities. Becoming a tax resident in Portugal will provide you with a special tax schedule called NHR. It’s an optional program you can apply to when you become a tax resident. In this way, you’ll be exempt from certain taxes for the first 10 years of your residency.
Who Can Apply For The Program?
In order to apply for Portugal Golden Visa, you must be:
- From a country other than from the EU and EEA regions and Switzerland
- At least 18 years old
- Hold a clean criminal record from both countries
- Paying the investment amount from outside of Portugal.
There are a few categories you can invest in to qualify for being a Portugal Golden Visa holder. Each category requires a minimum investment amount. You can invest in a real estate or venture capital fund. Or, you can make a certain donation, establish a company, or transfer capital to the country.
Find the required steps in short below:
- Choose the best investment type for you
- Prepare necessary documents including that of your family members
- Open a bank account and get a Portuguese tax number (NIF)
- Finalize your investment by paying the amount
- Submit an online application on the website of SEF (Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service)
- Come to Portugal for SEF and biometrics appointment after getting approval
- Finally, get your residence cards.
Apply today and get ready for a great journey!