Blackjack is one of the most profitable casino games. It’s the card game that has gotten the most people banned out of Las Vegas casinos, including famous names like Ben Affleck- because of how good some gamblers are at the game. Whether players are hunting for blackjack tables in land-based casinos or opting to find the best payout online casino sites, it’s essential to understand the casino advantage of one of the most profitable casino games. Blackjack has one of the lowest house edge percentages in the online casino industry as well as in the land-based casino industry. That’s one of the main reasons why it’s such a popular casino game. Playing blackjack can become a really exciting experience just like playing online pokies for real money or any other casino game. It’s still important to understand the advantage that casinos have over the players in a game of blackjack and why the dealer has a better chance of beating the player than the player has a chance of winning money.
Table of Contents
Why Casinos Have an Advantage on Blackjack
Every casino has an advantage in blackjack over the player. Unlike video poker, there are no variants of blackjack where the player could see the house edge reduced to the negatives. However, blackjack has one huge advantage over other casino games, as even people who only know basic strategy can enjoy an estimated RTP of around 98%.
People who are good enough at the game could see the house edge reduced to just 0.5% or even less. In most cases, online casinos have the edge over the player because the dealer doesn’t bust while the player does. If the player busts, the dealer doesn’t have to put anything in play, which gives the player the decision of whether to continue the game or not.
How to Minimize the House Edge in Casino Blackjack
Most online casino games have a fixed house edge and RTP, which makes it impossible for the player to change the odds of games like slots or even roulette. However, there are ways to improve the expected RTP of a game of blackjack – and they’re much easier to implement than newcomers may think.
The best payout online casino sites offer is always tied to how good players are when playing blackjack. These are some of the most basic ways to reduce the house edge on any casino blackjack table:
- Utilise basic blackjack strategy. Even the most basic of guides could help players reduce the house edge to less than 1%.
- When faced with the chance, gamblers could double down if they hold more than two cards. By doing this, the house edge is automatically reduced by 0.2% in favour of the player.
- Learn to count cards. Even though this has become quite difficult with the introduction of deck shufflers and multi-deck blackjack tables, dominating a blackjack card count could be the best way to maximise the odds in favour of the player.
The Truth About Counting Cards – Is It Legal?
Many gamblers that are just starting out in the iGaming or land-based gambling world have usually heard about the practice of counting cards. It is mostly used in blackjack, and it’s meant to determine how likely the dealer is to have the edge over the player in the upcoming hand.
This practice tends to draw the attention of Online Cricket Betting ID staff to any gambler that utilises it. However, contrary to popular belief, counting cards using the player’s mind and without external software is only frowned upon by the casinos – but not illegal under any law.
- Counting cards is not an illegal practice under any law in the United States or Australia. There are now local laws that prohibit the practice of card counting in any type of casino card game.
- Players are forbidden from using phone apps, as well as any other third-party hardware or software, to count cards in any casino. Casino operators are always aware of people doing this, and they can – and will ban gamblers that get caught.
- Some land-based casinos, and to a lesser extent online casinos, look down upon card counters and could implement shady rules to ban them from their tables.
Understanding RTP and House Edge in Blackjack
Blackjack RTP is influenced by the set of rules that are established at the blackjack table where the player sits. There are some basic blackjack rules that determine the RTP of a game. Classic rules could get the player very close to an expected 100% return rate, but some casinos tweak some minor details of the game to make it closer to 98%.
- Single deck blackjack is the most favourable for the player.
- Being able to split aces after doing so once will allow the house edge to go down almost an entire percentage point.
- If the table allows doubling down on two cards, the house edge will be drastically reduced.
- Casinos, where players can double down after splitting, give the player an extra edge over the house in blackjack.
- Players have an advantage if the dealer stands at a soft 17.
Is It Possible to Beat the Casino?
Blackjack is one of the few casino games where players can almost make the house edge vanish. Using simple strategies and basic card-counting tips is enough for players to beat the house, but players must take enough time to learn how to play if they are to come out victorious.
Casinos make their money on gambling, and they never leave a chance for gamblers to beat them. But casinos have a number of built-in advantages to ensure that it, and not its customers, will always win in the end.
Learning basic strategy is the easiest way to start getting an edge over the casino, but winning regularly can only be achieved by constant practice and experience. More playtime will always translate into a better capacity to read the game – consistency and dedication to learn will usually translate into better results and into the chance to beat the house.
Is It Better to Play Online Blackjack or Visit Land-Based Casinos?
Modern online casino games can be really fun to play, even if land-based blackjack will always remain the go-to choice for high-rollers. These are some of the benefits of playing both types of blackjack:
- Modern online casinos with enough regulations make it possible for players to comfortably enjoy a good time playing blackjack without fearing any scams.
- Online casinos also ensure players could theoretically use card-counting tools, but these are much more difficult to use in digital games, given how random every hand is.
- Land-based casinos provide players with the thrill of a gambling environment that online casinos cannot offer.
- Online players get to enjoy more rounds in the same amount of time that they would play fewer rounds in land-based casinos. Virtual blackjack can be extremely fast-paced if the player chooses to play it that way.