If you talk to dog owners about the best food to feed your dog, you’ll usually find that they are quite opinionated on the topic! Let’s see how to choose the best food for your dog.
Some people absolutely swear that a raw food diet is best for their four-legged companion because it’s the closest thing to the kind of diet that dogs would have had in the wild.
Other people swear that their dog is thriving on a whole food-cooked diet, spending hours preparing and cooking their dogs meals each day.
And, of course, others just buy a tin of dog food from the grocery store.
So what is the best option?
When choosing a dog food, you have a few different options available to you. The most common types of diet for a dog are:
- Holistic/natural diets. These are quality pet foods made with high-quality whole food ingredients formulated to ensure that your dog’s nutritional needs are met. They are often more expensive than the foods you would find in the grocery store.
- Veterinary prescription diets. Diets formulated by vets to help dogs who have specific health conditions; for example, you might use a prescription diet for a dog who was overweight or who had kidney disease.
- Premium dog foods. More expensive than generic dog food brands and less expensive than holistic or natural diets. They will use more high-quality ingredients.
- Generic dog foods. These foods are absolutely fine for your pet to consume; all pet foods have to undergo rigorous testing for safety before they can be sold. You can check how nutritionally complete they are by checking the labels.
- Whole food-cooked diets. Exactly what it sounds like!
- Raw food diets. Consists of things like raw meat and eggs.
Things to think about
The first thing to know when considering which type of diet to feed your dog is that dogs are not strict carnivores. What this means is that although meat makes up a large proportion of their diet, they can gain a lot of nutrients from fruits, grains, and vegetables.
Dog foods made up of meats and grains can be nutritionally valuable; for example, here you’ll find the best Dog’s formula with ancient grains and roasted fowl, including all of the nutritional information you need to decide whether this kind of food is the best choice for your dog.
If you’re considering feeding your dog a whole food cooked diet or a raw food diet, the biggest difficulty is ensuring that you are feeding them enough of the right things to give them the nutrients they need. It is possible, but it’s much easier to meet your dogs needs by feeding them food that has been approved by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). There is also a risk of bacterial contamination associated with raw food diets.
As long as a diet is meeting your dogs nutritional needs and it is within your budget, then most diets are completely fine for your dog. The best thing to do is to speak to your veterinarian, who will be able to give you advice on choosing the best food, bearing your dog’s breed, age, and any health conditions in mind.