Types of Damages That a Personal Injury Attorney Can Handle in San Diego

Attorney for Personal Injury

San Diego is a famous city in the state of California, the US, known for its pleasant weather and pristine beaches. But as far as personal injuries are concerned, the whole of California is characterized as a ‘fault state.’ Read on to find out what that means and what kind of cases with which an Attorney for Personal Injury in San Diego can help you.

What is Meant by California Being Termed as a Fault State?

There are two different types of insurance in terms of personal inrrjury, the first is the fault and the second is no-fault. If you reside in a no-fault state, your insurance provider will pay for your damages and medical bills in case of a personal injury. Imagine you live in a fault state like California. Then, the person or company responsible for your injury will pay for your bills and other expenses due to the accident.

That being understood, California is a fault state, which means that the person who caused your injury will pay a percentage of the damage for which they were responsible. For instance, if you are injured in an accident but you were also at 20% fault, you are entitled to recover the remaining 80% from the other party’s insurance provider. 

Types of Damages Handled by an Attorney for Personal Injury

If you have sustained an injury due to the negligence or carelessness of any other person or organization and you are trying to get over it, then an attorney for personal injury can handle the legal part on your behalf. While you can stay focused on your health and recovery, the lawyer can do the work for you to keep your rights protected.

There can be three different types of damages that a lawyer can handle in terms of personal injuries. They are:

General Damage: 

These are the damages for which it is impossible to assign a fixed compensation amount. For example, calculating the loss caused by a family member’s death or a long-term injury or disability is impossible. You can not only claim compensation for mental suffering and physical pain, but also for loss of enjoyment in life, loss of a friend or an associate, etc.

Special Damage: 

Calculating the exact amount of compensation is possible in times of special damages. Also termed as economic damage, it often involves medical expenses you had to bear due to the accident. You may also add treatment-related expenses you have to make in the future, such as medicines, surgeries, rehabilitation, doctor’s appointments, and others. Loss of money you have to bear due to the accident can also be included, such as damage to your personal property.

Punitive Damage:

This is a kind of penalty to the person who intentionally or seriously negligently caused your injury. Apart from paying you a penalty, a criminal case may also be filed against such a person.

If you have been injured due to the negligence of any other person or organization, then you can file a personal injury claim against them with the help of a personal injury attorney san diego, and get peace of mind in no time.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here