We often do not pay attention to oral hygiene even after knowing that it reflects our overall health. Brushing twice a day is a must. But is it sufficient to maintain excellent oral health? Below are the tips on how to take care of our teeth and gums that will maintain our oral health for a more extended period.
Brushing Teeth Properly
- Brushing our teeth after we woke up in the morning and before going to bed. Use toothpaste that has fluoride in it to reduce plaque.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to protect tooth enamel.
- Do not brush the teeth aggressively by practicing back and forth motion. It is imperative that we are following the right technique. Brush your teeth gently with a circular motion for 1.5 -2 minutes twice a day.
- Tongue cleaning is essential as well. Change the old brush every four months.
- However, it is impossible to get rid of hard plaque and tartar by yourself. Only dental professionals like dentist Montrose Colorado can remove it.
Floss In Between the Spaces of Teeth
We actually do not know that flossing our teeth is the second essential step. This is the cause of dental plaque and discoloration of teeth.
It is important to remove any residue left between the teeth by flossing.
It is recommended to floss the teeth at least once a day. It prevents dental plaque and gum infection.
Rinsing With Fluoridated Mouthwash
The third step includes in the daily dental care routine is to rinse with a fluoride containing mouthwash. A saline water rinse is also effective and recommended by dentists as well. It prevents tooth decay, bacteria that plaque, early gum disease.
It immediately cleans the teeth and helps us to achieve a perfect smile.
It comes handy when we are traveling and eliminates bad breath instantly.
Practicing a mouthwash or saline water rinse before or after brushing and flossing is a great idea.
Visit the Dentist
We are so busy in our daily routine that we ignore if any problem occurs inside our mouth. Make sure to go for regular dental checkups and cleanings to prevent gum problems and toothache. Do not avoid if you observe any signs and symptoms and contact to the dentist immediately.
Some of the common symptoms that you need to look after immediately are:
- Bleeding gums when brushing.
- Sudden discolored teeth.
- Gums are pulling away from the teeth.
- Unbearable sensitivity when eating hot or cold.
- Red and swollen gums.
- Building too much saliva and a foul taste in the mouth.
- Loose and weak permanent teeth.
- Severe toothache.
Pay Attention to What We Are Eating
Include calcium-rich food such as milk, yogurt, and cheese in the diet instead of taking sugary drinks and starch.
A lot of intake of sugars and starches can damage the teeth. So what is the reason? To explain this, it is estimated that there are thousands of bacteria present in our mouth. These bacteria need sugar to produce acids that weaken tooth enamel and create tooth sensitivity.
Smoking, tobacco, and alcohol intake are the reasons that can cause mouth cancer. So quit them right now!
Brushing our teeth immediately after we take sugars and starches, in any case, is essential to prevent any further tooth damage.
It is beneficial to include healthy foods in our diets such as fruits and vegetables and nutrients like protein.
Stick to the good oral cares practice every day following the above tips. Dental care is as important as to take care of any other body part. Keep in mind that we are making an investment in our overall health for the present as well as future.