Even the most meticulous home owners will have a problem when it comes to maintaining a regular flow of hot water service from their hot water system. Though the tank may not be in a lot of danger or a very bad condition, it could end up flooding your house if you do not take proper care of it. You should make sure that the entire system is serviced by a professional plumber at least once in every two years. Even for the smallest of repairs like installing seismic strapping or replacing any part you should make sure that you hire a professional rather than doing it yourself.
DIY Maintenance for Regular Hot Water Service
You could do a few things on your own to maintain the hot water service from the hot water system at your home, but ensure that it is turned off before you try doing anything. Though maintenance of the hot water system is pretty straightforward, owners may commit a few mistakes that could affect the upkeep of the heater. In order to ensure the perfect working condition of your heater and a regular hot water service from it, carry out the following maintenance steps:
- Drain the hot water system completely at least once a year. This will help in getting rid of sediments and debris that is found at the bottom of the tank as a result of constant usage. By doing this you will be able to prevent rust and corrosion and also maximize the heating efficiency.
- Every hot water system will have the T and P relief value which is designed in such a way that it will be able to ensure that the tank does not get too hot or too pressurized when it is operating. Though most people do not understand the importance of this value, you should make sure that you check it regularly. If this task is neglected, then you might end up dealing with a lot of inconvenience and hassles due to a tank rupture. You could even have it checked by a professional once a year.
- Along with checking the values, the homeowners should also insulate the water pipes of the heater. If you insulate the pipes on a regular basis, you will be able to decrease the amount of energy that the system consumes which in turn will enable some money saving potentials. Insulation will help in reducing the heat that is lost and also in enhancing the temperature of the water. Do this at least once in a year or once in two years. If you are planning to buy a new heater system, you should opt for one that has thick insulation so that you will be able to use it for a long time.
Hot Water Service
- Inspecting for leaks will help in saving all the trouble that homeowners will have to face otherwise. If leaks are left unattended, then it can not only be detrimental to your house but it could also cause many health risks. If moisture is present due to the presence of leaks, then it could lead to the growth of mold which could exacerbate health issues like allergic reactions, asthma attacks and other types of respiratory problems. In order to prevent this, check the drain valve regularly and tighten it properly.
- If the heater is not able to provide regular hot water service or produce enough hot water even after it has been turned on for a long period of time, then that would indicate some problem with the thermostat. Cleaning or replacing it regularly will help in maintaining it.
Implement these DIY maintenance steps to increase the life span of your hot water system and to maintain a regular hot water service from it. If you notice any problem with the hot water system, call a professional immediately. This could be a plumber or an electrician based on the nature of the problem, and do not ever try to repair it on your own.