Zucchini is a vegetable that can be versatile, without ever realizing it! When I cook zucchini, I make it the same: oilve oil, crushed red pepper, and garlic. I am always looking for different ways to cook vegetables, and knew these Zucchini Boats would be a great recipe to try. I already had the ingredients in my pantry, so the preparation, and time was minimal. I filled the zucchini with breadcrumbs, garlic, salt, pepper, and cheese. Then they were baked in the oven and once removed, tasted delicious. These are a great alternative to the basic zucchini recipe and are filling. It is a win-win recipe the whole family will enjoy. Serve as a side dish, or appetizers for a party!
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the zucchini boats are tender when pierced with a sharp knife and the cheese is bubbly and browned.
- 4 medium zucchini
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and coat a shallow baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Trim the ends from the zucchini and halve them lengthwise.
- Hollow out each half leaving a 3/16-inch thick wall on the sides and bottom (reserve the pulp).
- Season with salt and pepper and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Roughly chop the pulp from the zucchini and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute longer, then add the chopped zucchini.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper and sauté until the zucchini is pale golden in color, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- Add the breadcrumbs, combine well and cook for 1 additional minute, then remove from the heat.
- Divide the sautéed zucchini between the hollowed “boats,” then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the zucchini boats are tender when pierced with a sharp knife and the cheese is bubbly and browned.