If you’re looking for a quick and delicious meal to make for dinner, try making chicken over rice. This classic dish can be customized to your liking and can be made healthier with the right ingredients.
The article will provide step-by-step instructions for making the dish and helpful tips for cooking chicken and rice. We’ll also provide details on how to customize the dish to your liking, such as adding vegetables or using different types of rice.
With this recipe, you can enjoy a delicious and flavorful, healthy meal that is easy to make. So, spice up your dinner tonight with this delicious yet healthy chicken over rice recipe!
Table of Contents
What is chicken over rice?
Chicken over rice is a popular dish enjoyed in many cultures worldwide. It consists of cooked rice served with seasoned and cooked chicken on top. The chicken is typically marinated in a blend of spices and sometimes yogurt or citrus to enhance its flavor and tenderness. The dish is often garnished with herbs, sauces, and vegetables to add texture and flavor.
This dish is an excellent quick and easy meal option, as it can be prepared in just 30 minutes or less. It’s also a nutritious and filling option, as the rice provides a source of carbohydrates, and the chicken provides protein.
Additionally, it is highly customizable, with many variations from different cultures, allowing for endless possibilities regarding spices, seasonings, and ingredients.
In some cultures, such as in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines, chicken over rice is served as street food from food trucks or small stalls, while in others, it’s a popular family meal served at home. Regardless of its origins or how it’s done, chicken over rice is a delicious and satisfying dish anyone can enjoy.
How to prepare Chicken Over Rice recipes
Different popular recipes worldwide will help you prepare delicious chicken over rice. Select one that matches your taste. You can always improvise with ingredients and spices to match your preference. Top of Form
Recipe 1: Chicken rice bowl, cart style
Are you looking for chicken over rice near me and failed to find anything relevant? Try this recipe if you want quick results. It won’t take long and will help you with delicious chicken over a rice bowl. Please make sure to add all ingredients.
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, tenders, or breasts
- Basmati rice: Good-quality, long-grain rice rinsed and drained before toasting
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed
- Minced onions: Sauteed with rice and minced peppers for more flavor
- Butter: Used to saute the rice, onions, and peppers for yellow rice
- Chicken broth: Low-sodium broth is recommended
- Seasonings: Ground cardamom, cumin, allspice, coriander, turmeric, hot paprika, dried oregano, adobo seasoning, sumac, and kosher salt
- Minced peppers: Serrano pepper (seeds and ribs removed) or jalapeño pepper
- Garlic: Pressed into the marinade
- Olive oil: Added to the chicken marinade and used for searing the chicken
- White sauce and hot sauce: You can prepare it at home. Just look for online recipes
- Mix the seasoning in a bowl by combining cardamom, allspice, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and paprika. Set aside 1 tsp for rice and use the rest for chicken.
- Marinate the chicken with the remaining seasoning, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, ground sumac, dried oregano, and salt. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Cook the chicken in a 3-quart pot for 6-12 minutes until fully cooked. Rinse the rice under cold water and set aside.
- Saute rice, onions, and minced peppers in a pan with butter—season with homemade seasoning and adobo seasoning before pouring in chicken broth. Cover and cook over low heat. Let it sit for 5 minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
- Serve by adding rice to bowls and topping with sliced chicken, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and cucumbers. Drizzle with white sauce and red sauce. Enjoy!
Recipe 2: Chicken over rice
If you have time and are willing to prepare a detailed chicken and gravy recipe over rice, try this one. Remember, more efforts mean better taste. We promise that you won’t regret taking the long course.Looking to spice up your meal prep? Try these healthy chicken over rice recipes, including a delicious twist with Nashville Hot Chicken.
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp garam masala or allspice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/3 cup long-grain basmati rice
- 2/3 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp light mayo
- 2 tbsp nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp vinegar (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix the chicken garlic, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, coriander, oregano, paprika, red chili powder, cumin powder, garam masala, or allspice, salt, and turmeric. Mix refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Mix the light mayo, nonfat Greek yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar (if using), black pepper, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Melt the butter in a small pot or saucepan to make the rice. Add in the turmeric, salt, and cumin powder. Add rice after toasting for a minute. Saute for 1-2 minutes or until the rice slightly browns. Add in the chicken broth (or water). Bring everything to a boil, immediately cover it with a lid, and keep the heat low. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a small pan over high heat while the rice cooks. Add 1/2 tsp oil and chicken, then cook for 2-3 minutes on one side and flip. Cook for 2-3 minutes and flip again. Keep repeating until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- To serve, spread the rice out on a plate. Add the chicken to one side and the lettuce and tomato to the other side. Drizzle the white sauce generously over the platter, and enjoy!
Tips for cooking the perfect chicken over rice
Here are some suggestions for cooking the perfect chicken over rice:
Use the proper chicken cut
For this dish, boneless, skinless chicken thighs work best because they are tender and flavorful. You can also use chicken breast if you prefer, but be careful not to overcook it as it can become dry.
Marinate the chicken
Marinating it in a flavorful mixture will help tenderize the meat and infuse it with flavor. Use a mix of spices, yogurt or lemon juice, and oil for the best results.
Cook the chicken on medium-high heat
To get a nice sear on the chicken and ensure it cooks evenly, use medium-high heat when cooking it in a pan. Cook it for 6-8 minutes on each side until it’s browned and cooked.
Use long-grain rice
long grain rice, such as basmati, works best for this dish because it’s fluffy and absorbs flavors well. Rinse well.
Add flavor to the rice
To add more flavor, cook it in chicken broth instead of water and add a pinch of turmeric and cumin powder.
Let the rice sit for a few minutes
After it is cooked, pose for a few minutes before fluffing it with a fork. This allows the steam to redistribute and results in a fluffier texture.
Serve with garnishes
Top the chicken and rice with fresh herbs, sliced vegetables, and sauces like white sauce or hot sauce for added flavor and visual appeal. Enjoy!
Best sides to serve with chicken over rice
Many delicious sides can be served with chicken over rice to complement the dish and add flavor and texture. Here are some great options:
- Grilled or roasted vegetables, such as zucchini, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, are a healthy and tasty option seasoned with herbs, spices, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- A crisp salad with fresh greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and a tangy vinaigrette dressing can contrast the savory chicken and rice.
- Hummus, tzatziki, or baba ghanoush with warm pita bread is a classic Mediterranean side that complements the flavors of chicken and rice well.
- Roasted sweet potatoes or yams with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of honey can add a touch of sweetness to the savory dish.
- Garlic or herb bread can be toasted and served alongside the chicken and rice for a comforting and filling side.
Remember to balance your sides with your main dish, and consider the flavors and textures of each component to create a well-rounded and satisfying meal.
Health benefits of eating chicken over rice
Eating chicken over rice can provide several health benefits as it is nutritious and balanced. Here are some of the help:
1. Good source of protein
Chicken is an excellent source of high-quality protein, essential for building and repairing tissues in the body.
2. Provides essential vitamins and minerals
Chicken contains essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B6, niacin, phosphorus, and selenium. These nutrients help maintain healthy bones, support the immune system, and aid energy production.
3. Low in fat
Chicken is low in fat, especially if you remove the skin before cooking. It is also provide necessary monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats to your body.
4. Provides complex carbohydrates
Rice is an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, which provide sustained energy and can help regulate blood sugar levels.
5. Gluten-free option
Chicken and rice is an excellent option for those following a gluten-free diet as it does not contain wheat, barley, or rye.
6. Versatile meal
Chicken and rice can be prepared in many ways, making it a versatile meal option customized to suit individual tastes and preferences.
Chicken over rice is a healthy and nutritious meal with various health benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the best type of rice for chicken over rice?
You must use long-grain basmati rice. It is aromatic and fluffy, which makes it a perfect complement to the flavorful chicken.
2. How can I ensure that the chicken is fully cooked?
The best way is to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should reach 165°F (75°C) before eating safely
3. Can I make chicken over rice ahead of time?
Yes, you can make chicken over rice ahead of time. Cook the chicken and rice separately and store them in the refrigerator in separate containers. Reheat them together in the microwave or on the stove before serving.
4. Can I use brown rice instead of white rice for chicken over rice?
You can use brown rice instead of white rice for chicken over rice. However, brown rice takes longer and has a nuttier flavor, so adjust the cooking time and seasoning accordingly.
5. How can I make chicken over rice more flavorful?
To make chicken over rice more flavorful, use a variety of spices and herbs in the marinade, such as garlic, coriander, cumin, and oregano. To enhance the dish’s flavor, you can also add vegetables or sauces, such as tomatoes cucumbers, or a creamy white sauce.
Lamb and chicken over rice is a delicious and healthy meal that can easily be customized to fit your taste preferences. By using the right spices and cooking techniques, you can make a dish that is both flavorful and nutritious.
Adding healthy sides like roasted vegetables or a salad can make this meal even more satisfying. So spice up your dinner routine with this easy and versatile meal. Try it out and enjoy the delicious flavors of chicken over rice!
Please comment with your questions for clarification on any doubts about the recipe. Also, check out the FAQs below.