Vacuuming your home is the easiest and most effective way to eliminate dust, dirt, and other debris that build up with time. You should clean your home at least once weekly and twice for allergy seasons as it helps remove allergens from your home and keep you healthy. It also protects your floors and carpet by preventing the growth of mildew and mold, which can be damaging.
Research shows that the vacuum cleaners market segment amounts to USD$58.75 billion worldwide in 2023 and is expected to rise to USD$70.34 billion by 2027, meaning that people have discovered the importance of vacuuming and are investing more in vacuum cleaners. However, there are suitable techniques to use when vacuuming for better results. Here are a few pointers on how to vacuum clean your home effectively:
- Choose the right vacuum cleaner
A vacuum cleaner is one of the must-have home appliances you should have to help maintain a healthy home. As mentioned, it helps reduce allergens and toxins in your space, making it healthier and more comfortable. However, you should be careful when buying a vacuum to ensure you choose the best one for your home. Here are a few things you should consider:
- Motor power: You should consider the vacuum’s motor power before purchasing proper suction. It should be between 1000-4000 watts (W). The more the motor power, the stronger the suction. However, some models have under 1000 W but still have exceptional performance.
- Vacuum size and weight: The size and weight of the vacuum will determine how well you can move it around the house when cleaning. Therefore, consider one you can easily push and pull when cleaning.
- Reliability: Vacuums also have imperfections like other appliances. However, if you’re keen enough, you can pick one that’s more reliable based on its quality, performance, and durability.
- Filtration: The vacuum cleaner you choose should have high-efficiency filters to ensure it doesn’t spread dust when cleaning.
When buying a vacuum cleaner, consider the factors mentioned to choose a handy one that’ll work excellently for your space. Models like Dyson V8 have efficient filters, are quieter, smaller, and easier to move around, and have optimal performance and design.
- Create a vacuuming routine
Another crucial tip on how to vacuum effectively is creating a vacuuming routine. Don’t wait till your rug or carpet looks dirty to vacuum; they’ll be too caked with dust and debris by then, and you’ll have to deep clean instead. Therefore, consider including vacuuming in your cleaning schedule.
Vacuum rooms where you and your family spend most of your time more often than unoccupied rooms. The kitchen, kids’ playrooms, hallways, mudrooms, and family room will need weekly vacuuming as they’re exposed to more foot traffic, which means more dirt and lint. Guestrooms and unused spaces can be vacuumed occasionally or when you expect visitors.
- Go slow
The key to perfect vacuuming is going slow. Spare enough time for vacuuming because the more time you spend vacuuming, the more time your machine has to suction and remove dirt. Start from the room’s or carpet’s furthest end and vacuum in a straight line, pushing your vacuum forward and pulling backward slowly to clear the debris and dirt hidden under the rug’s fibers.
However, you should focus on more than backward and forward movements. Vacuum in all directions to get your space extra clean. If you find it challenging to do this with a corded vacuum, consider using a cordless or robotic cleaner. They’re more convenient as they don’t need an electrical outlet to operate and you can quickly move it in all directions.
- Clean your machine
Effective vacuuming also involves keeping the equipment clean. Your vacuum cleaner needs enough airflow for proper functioning. Therefore, empty your canister regularly or change the bag when it’s about three-quarters full.
Waiting too long to empty may clog the hose, reducing its suction and efficiency. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you clean your vacuum:
- Start by unplugging the vacuum.
- Separate the different parts or attachments of the vacuum.
- Empty the bin or canister.
- Clean or dispose of the filters depending on whether they’re reusable or disposable.
- Clean the roller brush and remove tangled strings and hair.
- Check for clogs.
- Wipe the vacuum cleaner parts with a wet microfiber cloth.
- Rinse the soap suds.
- Let it dry.
- Reattach the parts.
The number of times you clean your vacuum depends on how often you use it. Consider reading the manufacturer’s instructions on how to and how often to clean it.
- Consider using a robotic vacuum cleaner
Research indicates that the global robotic vacuum market was at USD$3.61 billion in 2021 and is estimated to be about USD$14.23 billion by 2029. It shows that many people are shifting from traditional corded and cordless vacuum cleaners to robotic ones. It may be because of the efficiency of these cleaners and the many benefits they bring.
For one, you can use them to clean almost any home surface, from hardwood floors to tiles. They use advanced technologies that equip them with multi-surface capabilities and edge detection. Robotic vacuums also save you time as you can program them to clean while you do other things. To top it off, they clean hard-to-reach spots as they have low profiles.
With these tips, you can now vacuum like a pro, and cleaning your space will be fun and easy. Consider vacuuming a priority and include it in your regular cleaning schedule to keep your home healthy and free from toxins and allergens. Also, invest in the best vacuum cleaner for effectiveness, to increase your floors’ lifespan, and improve indoor air quality.