If you run a warehouse, you will already know about the importance of keeping the place neat and tidy, and like any structure, the warehouse needs to be maintained on a regular basis. The last thing you need is downtime due to a problem with your warehouse, and with that in mind, here are some essential maintenance tasks that need to be carried out.
- Creating a Maintenance Plan – The best way to ensure that nothing is overlooked is to create a maintenance schedule, which should include details of all machinery and their service intervals, plus a plan to inspect the structure, looking for leaks and defects. You should also assign maintenance tasks to employees so that everyone knows their role and responsibilities. If you have a big chart in the office, you can clearly see what needs to be done and when which will make sure that nothing is overlooked.
- Roof Inspections – Of course, the roof is a critical component that needs to be inspected at least twice a year, and with companies that specialise in commercial roofing in Perth, you can commission a team to inspect the roof and they will issue you with a detailed report. Any repairs can be promptly carried out, and whenever there is stormy weather, give the roof a quick inspection, looking for signs of leaks or missing sections, plus clean out the guttering every so often, as a blockage will cause an overflow.
- Flooring – The floors need to be inspected for damage and wear and tear, and if there are small indentations or hollows, these need to be filled, as the floor must be even when forklift trucks are in operation. If you have non-slip surfaces, make sure they are not worn to the point where traction and grip suffer, as this could cause an accident.
- Interior & Exterior Lighting – It is critical to have adequate illumination, so all light fittings should be checked to see that bulbs are not missing or broken and always keep spares of every type, as they can be quickly replaced in the event of a defect. The LED lighting is cheaper in the long-term and the fittings offer more than adequate light for warehouse work.
- Ventilation & Climate Control – It is best to ask the company that installed the HVAC system to carry out essential maintenance, as filters will need to be changed and the major components tested for optimum performance.
- Fire Prevention – All fire extinguishers should be inspected in line with the instructions from the supplier and smoke alarm batteries must be replaced at regular intervals, and if you have a sprinkler system, this needs to be looked at from time to time.
Keeping your warehouse in good order is all about planning and preparation, and by assigning the maintenance management to a trusted employee, you can be sure that everything is taken care of when the time is right. Well-Maintained warehousing and fulfillment will always be operational and your business can ill-afford any warehouse downtime.
warehousing and fulfillment