When life gets busy, it’s hard to cook tasty, healthy, nutritious meals for your family every night. As well as the cooking and preparation times, there’s also the grocery shopping to do, and the time it takes to plan the meals ahead of time. So it makes sense to have a few simple meals in your repertoire that take the minimum amount of time but have all the taste.
Cooking is much simpler if you have the right time-saving devices. For example, the Presto pressure cooker will cook almost anything in super-fast time. Using the power of steam, it can be used to create delicious stews, meat, veg, rice, and pasta in no time at all.
At the opposite end of the spectrum, is the slow cooker. This cooks food over a longer period. So, the idea is that you switch it on first thing in the morning, and by the time you get home from work, you’ll have a healthy, tasty meal waiting for you. Slow cookers are great for preparing tender meat and stews, or meals that need time to marinate.
- Things You Can Leave Overnight
If you have guests coming and you’re preparing a slightly more formal meal than usual, there are lots of preparations that can be done overnight as you sleep. For example, you can leave meat marinating in a sauce to allow the flavors to infuse.
Another handy trick is to make some homemade biscuit treats. They taste delicious but require no baking and the minimum of fuss. All you need is the following:
- A large bar of your favorite chocolate
- A small packet of biscuits such as chocolate chip cookies or digestives
- Knob of butter
In terms of equipment, you will need 2 x microwavable bowls, mixing bowl, small round baking tin, plastic bag, rolling pin, tablespoon, and a spatula.
- Break the chocolate into squares and place it in a microwavable bowl.
- Heat it for one minute initially, remove and stir. Then heat it at 15-second increments until it is completely melted.
- Break the biscuits and place them in the plastic bag.
- Keeping hold of the end of the bag bash the biscuits with the rolling pin until you have fine crumbs
- Melt the butter in the microwave. This should only take a few seconds.
- Combine the biscuit crumbs and butter in the mixing bowl and transfer to the baking tin.
- Smooth the biscuit mixture and press it down with the back of the tablespoon.
- Add the melted chocolate over the biscuit base and smooth into place with the spatula.
- When cool, transfer to the fridge and leave overnight.
- The next morning the chocolate will have set, and you can cut or break the whole thing into small, rough pieces.
- Voila! You have no-fuss, homemade chocolate biscuit treats that taste delicious .
- Party Food
A great tip for an impromptu meal is to serve party-style or picnic food. Take out some serving platters and fill them with a selection of cheeses, cooked meats, crackers, fruit, chips, and dips. Guests can help themselves, and it’s all prepared in super-fast time.
Preparing delicious food for several people needn’t be time-consuming. Keep a few key ingredients in your store cupboard and fridge, and you can whip up a tasty meal in next to no time.