Does the thought of visiting a dentist near you leave you with knots in your stomach, weak knees, and nervous sweats? If it does, you aren’t the only one. Dental phobia and anxiety are extremely common, which is why sedation dentistry has become so popular. In this blog post, our team at Terra Dental Care tells you all about sedation dentistry and how it can benefit patients who are anxious about visiting the dentist and getting dental treatments.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry in Downtown Calgary uses a mixture of medications to help patients remain calm and happy during their dental visits. There are three main kinds of sedation:
- Nitrous oxide sedation- this is a mild form of sedation that is inhaled through a small mask placed over the nose. This form of sedation is great for young children because it is non-invasive and very mild, allowing them to stay calm and safe throughout their procedure. Once the mask is removed, the sedative effects of nitrous oxide fade quickly.
- Intravenous sedation- this sedative is administered via bloodstream through a small needle. This is a stronger form of sedation and requires the patient to have someone drive them to and from their appointment as the effects take longer to wear off. Patients who undergo this sedation will remain conscious and comfortable, and may even drift off into a light sleep during their dental procedure. It is not uncommon for patients to remember little of their appointment once the sedation has worn off.
- Oral sedation- if you opt for oral sedation, your dentist will prescribe you a pill to take about one hour before your procedure. You will need a loved one to take you to and from your appointment. With oral sedation, you will still be able to converse with your dentist and follow instructions, but you will feel calm and relaxed for the duration fo your procedure.
The best type of sedation for you will depend on several factors. This will include underlying health conditions, age, and personal desires. A dentist will work with you to determine the best kind of sedation for your needs.
Who Should Opt for Sedation Dentistry?
As mentioned above, there are a lot of people who are nervous about visiting a dentist in Downtown Calgary, and these people can always benefit from dental sedation. However, there are more reasons that one may opt for sedation dentistry, including:
- Having experienced traumatic dental treatment in the past
- Experiencing mental, emotional, or physical impairments that make it a challenge to remain still and calm
- Having a sensitive gag reflex or hypersensitivity in your oral nerves
- Having trouble tolerating or having a resistance to oral anesthetics
- Anticipating a complex or lengthy dental procedure, such as tooth extractions, root canal treatment, or dental implants
- Having low pain tolerance
It is less common for individuals to get dental sedation before routine dental cleanings and checkups than for complex or prolonged procedures, but if you are always nervous about the dentist, mild levels of sedation may be an option at any appointment.
It is important to disclose any underlying health conditions or medications that you are on to your dentist before undergoing dental sedation, as this can impact the effectiveness of the sedation. In some cases, individuals are not good candidates for sedation dentistry near you, including:
- Those with heart disease or other cardiovascular conditions
- Those with allergies or resistances to the drugs used for sedation
- Those who are pregnant
If you are not a good candidate for sedation dentistry, your dentist will work with you to find other ways to help you feel comfortable during your appointment.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Sedation?
There are many benefits of sedation dentistry, but here are some of the most important ones:
- Overcome dental fear and anxiety- dental phobia is a common phenomenon and sedation dentistry works to ensure that those natural phobias do not interfere with your ability to get necessary dental treatments.
- Make treatment physically easier- for those with specific sensitivity to pain or a particularly sensitive gag reflex often have to brace themselves in anticipation of pain or discomfort. This can make a visit to the dentist uncomfortable, exhausting, and anxiety-inducing. The tension also makes it more challenging for a dentist to provide quick, safe, and effective treatment. Sedation dentistry can help you physically relax to make treatment more comfortable for you, and safer for your dentist.
- Sedation dentistry can help in the moment and in the future- the memories of past painful treatments and traumatic dental experiences are often what cause dental anxiety. When one undergoes dental sedation, they often have little memory of their procedure, lessening their anxiety about any upcoming or future procedures.
- Fewer dental visits- since those who are under the influence of dental sedation can remain calm and still for long periods of time, dentists can cluster many procedures into a single appointment, rather than spreading them out over several appointments. This means that you won’t have to spend multiple days at the dentist.
- Better oral health- a lot of people end up skipping out on their necessary dental appointments and procedures because they are too nervous to follow through. This causes them to end up with poor oral health outcomes. With sedation dentistry, you can get all the dental procedures you need to maintain excellent oral health for years to come.
If you want to learn more about how you can benefit from sedation dentistry, speak to our dedicated team of dental professionals at Terra Dental Care.
The Bottom Line
If you experience a lot of anxiety, fear, and upset surrounding the dentist and dental procedures, you are not alone. Do not let your fear of pain, stress, and discomfort stop you from getting the dental treatments that you need. At Terra Dental Care, we are happy to provide sedation dentistry to our patients so they can remain comfortable and relaxed throughout their dental procedures. Please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated team of dental professionals to book your appointment today.