People more often than not take their office chair for granted and only realize their mistake after it affects their health. The chair that you use for your desk job is an important furniture piece and using the wrong one can cause workplace injuries like back pain, neck pain, or even carpal tunnel. Hence it is necessary to use an office chair that is comfortable and ergonomic. There are many manufacturers like Wakefit who offer high back office chairs online but before you purchase one here are some things to know about types of office chairs and why you should choose high back ergonomic office chairs.
What is an Ergonomic Chair?
Sitting for a long time at work desks can lead to many health implications. The spine which is the most important part to sit and stand upright gets stressed the most when sitting for long hours. After many years of research, furniture manufacturers have come up with a science called ergonomics. It involves designing objects in such a way that it helps in making the interactions better. For instance, an ergonomic chair is designed by taking into the posture, support, and comfort of humans.
Finding the right Ergonomic Chair
There are many designs and styles when it comes to office chairs but are classified into three many types:
- The low-back chairs: These are chairs that give support to the lower and mid-back. These are ideal for people who do not sit for long hours but move frequently.
- The mid-back chairs: These are office chairs that provide ample protection to the middle and lower back and also help you to sit erect. The chair helps in maintaining the natural curvature of the spine.
- The high-back office chairs are made for people who sit for long hours. It provides ample support to the back, neck, and shoulders.
Benefits of using a High Back Chair
Buying a chair for a study table or your office desk can be quite confusing as there are so many options. But if there is one type of chair that is recommended by experts for people who sit for long hours is a high back ergonomic chair. Here are some benefits of it:
- Lumbar and back support: One of the most essential aspects that makes the ergonomic chair beneficial is the backrest. It has a supportive backrest that prevents back pain as it caters to the natural curve of the spine. Another feature of these chairs is that the backrest is adjustable so that you do not slouch. The office chair’s back width is also wide enough to make it more comfortable to sit for a long time.
- Seat depth: The seat depth is the distance between the back and front of the seat. Having a proper seat depth ensures that there is proper blood circulation and relieves back pain if any. A good high back chair will have a good seat depth. To check the depth sit close to the backrest for maximum comfort.
- Adjustable armrest: When you sit, the armrest should be relaxed, if not it can lead to pain in your shoulders and wrists, and even the neck. Adjustable armrests are those where the width and the height can be modified to provide optimal support to the arms and wrists so that they are not tensed when you sit. A good high chair will have an adjustable armrest.
- The height of the chair: The feet should comfortably touch the floor so that proper posture is maintained and the person can sit with a straight spine. The high back chair will have an adjustable height so that you can sit with your feet touching the floor. Use a footstool if you are short in stature and are incapable to sit with the feet touching the floor.
- Have a firm base: An ergonomic chair should have a secure base so that one can sit without having to worry about falling off. Most of the high-back chairs are designed with a firm base with wheels so that they can be easily moved around the room. The other advantage of having a rotating and movable base is that you can reach for things without straining or twisting your body.
To, summarize, an ergonomic high back chair is the one that can adapt to your needs. It is height adjustable, can tilt back to get the right lumbar support, movable armrests, and have a wide seat span.
Other factors to consider when buying a High-back Chair
There are many other factors to consider when buying an ergonomic chair after ensuring it provides proper comfort and support. Those include:
- Breathable back: Sitting for long hours on a chair can be taxing especially during summers. The back can sweat a lot and lead to skin irritations if the backrest is not made of the right material. To prevent this, ergonomic chairs come with a breathable mesh backrest so that there is enough air circulation. Unlike the upholstered chairs which block air, mesh back chairs provide ventilation to the back aiding in concentrating on work.
- Ergonomic support: The office chair that you purchase should provide ergonomic support. It should be designed to support your back and neck. For greater posture, you can also invest in a back support cushion that provides better lumbar support.
- Easy maintenance: Buy chairs with mesh backrest as that ensures that the sweat is not locked and there is less odour. Also, look for chairs that have cushions that can be cleaned easily if there are any accidental spills they can be cleaned easily.
- Stylish looks: The chairs designed these days are stylish and have a modern design that is lightweight but yet sturdy and suits the aesthetics of your office space.
Sitting long hours can lead to many health implications especially if you sit on a chair for a study table that is poorly designed. It not only leaves you tired and also unproductive at work but also leads to issues with the back, neck, and spine. Hence it is essential to look for an office chair that provides lumbar support.