Taking photos in your home is not an impossible feat, but it is more challenging than taking one in a studio. However, photoshoots have a different touch to it when it is done inside your home or with your family.
Here are some ways and tips on how to set up a beautiful photo shoot right in the comforts of your own home:
- Prepare Your Camera
The first thing you need to do before setting up anything is to pick a good camera for your photo shoot. Now, how will you know which camera you should use? You don’t need the best camera with the highest specifications. When shooting indoors, a simple mirrorless camera will work for you.
This kind of camera can offer you higher quality images, more creative options, and faster processing as compared to a simple point and shoot camera. The difference between a DSLR and a mirrorless camera is the mirror found in DSLRs that provides the optical viewfinder. Only Canon, Panasonic, and Nikon offer a full-frame mirrorless camera. These cameras range from $500 to $1000 depending on the model that you get.
- Setup the Lighting Equipment
When shooting indoors, you need to be able to control the lighting. As much as possible, do not aim for natural ambient light. It will compromise your photos. Rather, you need a good balance of low ambient light and lighting equipment to improve your photos.
Here are some basic lighting equipment that can help you in your indoor photoshoot in your home:
- Lights – One light is enough for basic photography. However, if you want more flexibility, then you might need at least three lights. You may use speedlights for all three. Speedlights are lightweight and small, but they can provide a balance between natural light and artificial light.
- Light Modifiers – Light modifiers can be in the form of umbrella reflectors. Umbrella reflectors are attached to something called a monolight. The umbrella reflector will diffuse the light on the monolight and make it more directional. By doing this, your light will look softer as opposed to strong natural light.
- Light Stands – For each kind of light that you bring into your shoot, you need a stand. The number one rule for light stands is that the heavier your light is, the tougher your light stands need to be. Don’t invest in wobbly or stands that are not stable.
- Studio Flashes – Studio light flashes are also essential when you prepare for your shoots. This will invoke very powerful lights that will create professionalism in your images.
- Choose Your Shoot Location
Next, you have to choose a location for your shoot. You can do it in your living room or simply a room with a monochromatic background with windows. Don’t overdo it with the natural light, but it also helps to have natural light coming into the room so that you don’t need to prepare a lot of lighting equipment.
If you don’t have a wall with a monochromatic background, there are collapsible backgrounds that you can buy in stores. It’s relatively cheap and very compact. However, these collapsible backgrounds are only most suitable for portraits or headshots. The surface is also very susceptible to creases. So, these are some things that you need to manage.
- Organize Your Props
Next, it’s better if you don’t have an empty shoot. Try looking for things that you can use as props in the photoshoot. You will be the one to decide which props you need. You can even choose a theme and work from there. The props can be anything. Be creative and have fun with choosing and arranging your props for the photoshoot.
- Prepare Your Models
If you are shooting people, you also need to prepare them for the photoshoot. Make sure that your subjects are well-dressed and made up. You can even tell or instruct them on what to wear.
Fixing up the hair and make-up of the models for your photoshoot will also create a more professional effect on your photos. It is important to note that when it comes to photos, makeup needs to be heavier in order to show up in photos.
Break out of the norm of having shoots inside a photo studio. You can make your own home as the backdrop for your photoshoot. You will be able to take beautiful photos as well with the tips listed above. Just follow them, and you’ll be surprised with the photos you’ll be taking.