Writing, as an integral part of our daily life, is a way of expressing our thoughts and emotions, but not an easy skill to master. Some students are not comfortable with putting thoughts into words on paper in a structured way – we know that some students aren’t that into writing at all! But this compound skill is the key to academic success.
As we all may remember from school, classmates who did well on exams, completed assignments and composed longer essays were good writers. This skill is a way of showing what you know and what you’ve learned.
Writing is closely related to critical thinking and influences almost all school curriculum areas. Unfortunately, it is almost always ignored at the early age of life. Except for school homework, the composition skill is absent from our children’s daily lives.
Teachers serve as tour guides helping students to master new skills. But we cannot expect a miracle; they are not magicians. Students have to understand that being able to write effectively will help them throughout their lives so that they are motivated to practice the craft every day.
Children are good imitators, so the best way to improve this ability in kids is to give them models and examples that are practical in life. Try typical ordinary samples like making a grocery list, a thank-you note, a text message to a family member, etc.
Do your jobs as parents: inspire your kids to love expressing their thoughts on paper, try creative writing games, give your kids hints and clues for an ideal composition.
Tips to develop this skill
“Practice makes perfect” and creating text is not an exception. Kids need to practice this skill as much as possible. We should provide fuel to children’s engines. There are multiple strategies to help them with learning writing. Here are some tips to help you:
- A good writer needs to be a good reader first. Reading and writing are interrelated skills in kids. Like Alice’s adventures in wonderland, reading opens many doors to the worlds of new vocabularies for your kids – then, they’ll learn more words. Push them to read a lot on a wide range of areas.
- Read along with your kids and read over their texts with them. This way, you cultivate their proofreading and editing potential too. Instead of correcting their mistakes, read the sentences aloud. They’ll spot the errors.
- The beginning is always frightening! Give children a mind-map of ideas relevant to the topic that they are writing about. Don’t get obsessed over sentence structure. You’ll always have time for revisions later. From the beginning, just encourage them to put down whatever comes to mind.
- Use motivational tools such as funny pens and papers, as well as colorful materials to make kids interested in this activity.
- Technology can serve as a child’s best friend. Typing on a computer allows children to make several attempts at noting down their ideas, reviewing, and revising their errors. Spelling and grammar checking tools are also good technology-based tools giving feedback on how to revise and correct errors.
- Identify children’s passions and link them to writing. Encourage kids to express their thoughts on their favorites using written means of communication.
- Playing with words. You can find many interesting word games or use your creativity and create new word games.
- Encourage your child to write outside of homework assignments. For example, ask your kid to write letters to family members. This helps them to learn how to express themselves.
- Try to use new words in daily conversations with children to expand their vocabulary knowledge.
Writing may appear to be a difficult skill for children to master, but with the proper guidance and intelligent practice, this skill can be learned just like any other. By following some simple hints, we’ll learn how to develop this ability in our kids. Early childhood is the best time to start writing as the kids are ready to learn passionately. Try to make it fun!
If you have an assignment like this essay, you may be wondering “can anyone write an essay for me”? As you know, being able to create insightful articles is not an easy task, but thanks to online custom essay writing service. It is possible to get help with your school projects.
Hence, the questions of “can anyone write my essay for me” and “can anyone write my essay for cheap?” can be easily solved thanks to such online services.