Laser treatment is perfect for scarring as it reduces the appearance of scars. It uses a focused light therapy to either remove the outer layer of the surface of the skin or induce the growth of new skin cells to cover damaged skin cells. LASER means Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation and is a laser beam that is capable of slicing, sealing, and vaporizing skin tissue along with blood vessels. This laser beam has enough wavelength of light that ensures the necessary intensity and duration of the light pulses for the scar removal. This is very efficient, but also a very time-consuming process.
How Does Laser Treatment help in the removal of scars?
- The laser beams that are radiated on the scar during the treatment penetrate the outer layers of the skin to initiate the new cell growth. The laser removes older, weakened layers of skin so that fresh, healthy skin will develop in place.
- The scar formation is a natural response to the injury that occurs due to falling, burns, or anything else. Doctors never advise getting the scars removed unless they are painful, unaesthetic, or affecting a person psychologically. Then several methods are there to reduce their appearance and discomfort.
- Laser treatment removes the scar by reducing the pain, itchiness, and prevents it from spreading. There are a lot of lasers used for laser scar reduction in Santa Monica by the doctors.
Which type of scars does it remove?
Laser treatment can help with many types of scar removal, such as acne scars, injury scars, surgical scars, and burn scars. Doctors tend to suggest it to the surface wounds only. Deep scars or wounds cannot be treated by laser treatment as they require more intensive treatment. The doctors also say that laser treatment is not a permanent solution to remove scars. In some cases, the doctors use many other therapies along with the laser treatment for scar removal.
The side effects of laser scar reduction treatment are:
- Skin infection
- Minor bleeding
- Skin discoloration
- Crust formation on the skin
Sometimes it is also possible in a few cases that scar removal treatment can be ineffective and worsen the scar’s appearance.
Different procedures for scar removal
There are different Laser scar reduction procedures in Santa Monica, which are mentioned below:
- Fractioned Laser Resurfacing
Fractional laser therapy is a non-invasive procedure that uses a laser system that is divided into numbers of zones for treatment. It targets every inch of the skin at a time and performs it with precision. A laser penetrates the deepest layer of the skin to eliminate dark pigmented cells. This procedure also enhances the production of collagen and the regeneration of skin cells, which can make your scars appear less noticeable.
- Non-ablative laser resurfacing
Infrared heat lasers penetrate the deeper layers of skin. It also stimulates cell regeneration and increases the production of collagen to replace damaged skin cells. This treatment removes old epidermal pigmented cells and heats the dermis to tighten the skin and stimulate the remodeling of collagen.
- Ablative Resurfacing
This type of treatment enhances the appearance of bruises, scars, and wrinkles. Resurfacing removes the outer layer of the skin and replaces the skin cells that have been destroyed on the surface with the new one. The doctors use carbon dioxide laser for deeper scars or an erbium laser for surface scars. They are used to treat acne, chickenpox scars, sun-damaged skin, wrinkles, age spots, and uneven skin tone.
Measures to be taken after treatment
The recovery time after getting treated varies from person to person, but it may take 3 to 10 days for the body to repair. The doctor will give the post-treatment instructions immediately after your treatment. These may include the following, and you need to follow it to make the treatment successful.
- Reduce swelling by applying a cold pack or moist cloth to the treated area.
- Avoid direct sunlight for 4 to 6 weeks after the procedure.
- If required, take over-the-counter medicine for pain.
- Wash and then apply the moisturizer every day.
If you have got the treatment done on your face, then avoid using any makeup for 10 – 15 days.
Laser skin treatment of scars is not permanent if the care has not been taken. In the future, you may have to get the treatments more often. The results are not always immediate, and it takes weeks or months before you notice any change.
Why it is necessary to choose the best Doctor
For getting the laser scar reduction treatment in Santa Monica, always choose the best doctor who can guide you about both the benefits and disadvantages of the procedure. Always prefer choosing a certified dermatologist who is eligible to perform the procedure. Check out with your near and dear ones for searching the best doctor.