Dog ownership is fun, but you also have a responsibility to ensure the safety and happiness of your pet. You should also ensure that your dog does not cause trouble for your neighbors. Many people wonder what items you should have when owning a dog. The following five items are a must have for dog owners.
- Leashes. You should have several leashes of different lengths. Forget about the retractable leashes since they are confusing for dogs. Your dog will not understand why the leash is long in one minute and short in the next. Retractable leashes do not give dogs a chance to adjust their behavior. Buy a long leash for carefree outings. Call your dog into you regularly to make sure that she knows that you care about her whereabouts. Then, get a shorter leash for situations where you need more control of your dog. Always show the leash to the dog to ensure they associate with the gear.
- Crate. Many people still debate the necessity of a crate. Most trainers and behaviorists suggest that crate training is the best thing we can do to our pets. A crate will help you when training and providing shelter to your dog. If your dog is often uncomfortable being around a crowd, you can use a crate to help her feel safe. Crates also make travel much more harmless.
- First Aid Kit. We all have first aid kits for ourselves, but forget that our dogs need one as well. Dogs have accidents, and they may hurt themselves. A canine dog will often hurt himself. Before calling a veterinarian, you can ease the discomfort on your own and increase their recovery chance. Ask your veterinarian to help you set up a first aid kit. You can also purchase one from your local store.
- Identification. Your dog needs, and there is a variety of them in the store. There is no reason whatsoever to lack an identification for your dog. The most common ways to identify your dog is the use of a collar, ID tag, and microchip. In case your dog gets loose, you are more likely to have them returned to you. After getting the identification, make sure that the information is correct.
- Portable Water Dish. Every dog has its water dish. A collapsible water dish will make things for you when you take your dog out. The dish is easy to carry since it easily fits in your pocket or purse. You are also sure that no other animal is using the dish. Some dog-friendly restaurants offer water dishes to dogs, but you cannot know whether the dog before yours was ill. A portable water dish is easy and affordable.
Your dog is a companion, and you need to take good care of her. You can also purchase a glass dog door to give your dog some freedom of movement in and out of your house. A sliding glass dog door eliminates the trouble of cutting a hole in your front or back door to install a flap.