Interested in getting a good workout in while you’re splashing around in your backyard pool? Incorporating aquatic exercises into your workout regimen is not only fun, but it’s also an extremely effective way to burn fat, tone your body, and alleviate symptoms that come along with chronic ailments like arthritis or fibromyalgia. Your pool is a great fitness tool; giving you a refreshing space to cool off from the scorching hot sun while working towards improving your health.Just make sure you had pool resurfacing done beforehand. From balance and agility to strength and cardio, here are some must-try pool workouts you can dive into right away.
The pool noodle is not only a great way to drum up some nostalgia for your childhood days, but it’s also an inexpensive piece of equipment you can use to workout.
- Bicycle: While the noodle certainly isn’t the quickest form of transportation, it’ll certainly have your legs burning from the great cardio workout. Simply put one leg on each side of the noodle, sit in the middle, and pedal your legs as if you were riding a normal bicycle.
- Plank: Take the regular plank exercise and bring it to new heights by holding your noodle in front of you and stretching your body into a straight line so your toes meet the bottom of your pool. Try holding for thirty seconds, increasing your hold time as you begin mastering this workout. While the water acts a support mechanism, partly holding your weight, the exercise will strengthen your hamstrings, glutes, and core.
- The Press Down: Place your noodle in front of your body, press downward until it’s flush with your legs, then let it rise back to the surface of the water. This is a great resistance exercise that’ll tone your body and get your heart pumping.
Water weights, made out of inflatable foam, are designed specifically for underwater use, acting as a form of resistance against the pool water.
- Bicep Curls: Standing with arms at your sides and palms facing up, lift the weights to your shoulder and then lower them back down at a slow, steady pace.
- Shoulder Shrugs: Begin with your arms at your sides and palms facing your body. Slowly lift your shoulders up, then gently move them back down. This exercise will sculpt your shoulders, burn calories, and as a bonus, alleviate tension.
- Rows: Put your upper body to work by holding the weights to your chest then extending your arms so the weights are straight out in front of your body with your palms facing down. Using your arm and shoulder muscles, pull the weights back to your chest to complete the exercise.
Feel the Burn Sans Equipment
No noodles or weights lying around? No problem. Many land exercises, such as jumping jacks or jogging in place can be done in water, which adds a resistance element perfect for working different muscles. Here are two additional exercises to try:
- Scissor Kicks: Strengthen your core and give your legs a killer workout by grabbing onto the side of your pool deck, stretching your legs out behind you, and alternating between kicking up and down as well as side to side.
- The Knee-Tuck: This low-impact ab exercise is suitable for all skill levels. To get started, jump out and bring your knees to your chest, then return to standing position.
Combine fun and exercise this summer by trying out these pool-inspired exercises. They’re a great way to beat the heat, achieve your fitness goals, and get your friends and family to join!