The best thing about slow cookers is that you can use them to prepare virtually any meal. Nevertheless, another kitchen appliance may soon phase out your slow cooker when it comes to being multipurpose. Known as Instant Pot, this gadget is set to revolutionize your kitchen activities for good, as you may not need any other appliance. In fact, it is a seven in one kitchen appliance that is functional as well as easy to clean and use. In case you are still in doubt, check out the following details about the Instant Pot as follows:
What does an Instant Pot Entail?
In essence, an Instant Pot is a single gadget comprising of seven kitchen appliances including:
- Slow Cooker
- Rice Cooker
- Pressure Cooker
- Saute Pan
- Yogurt maker
The Pressure Cooker boasts 10 Safety Mechanisms
The pressure cooker operates by creating steam for cooking food. If you are worried about this feature of the Instant Pot, you do not have to since it comes with a whopping 10 safety mechanisms. What this means is that correct use of the appliance averts the risk of an explosion or even fire. Also, when using the pressure cooker that comes with your Instant Pot, you only require a single cup of liquid. Additionally, ensure that the lid is always properly closed and the steam release handle is appropriately sealed before cooking.
An Instant Pot offers two options as far as releasing the steam pressure. The natural pressure release serves as the first option, whereby you are required to maintain the steam handle in its sealed position for almost 8-25 minutes. Keep in mind, that the amount of fluid present determines the number of minutes required to release the steam in the pot.
The quick release feature is the other alternative. If you opt for it, make sure you turn the steam release handle specifically to the vent setting. Once you do this, the steam will be quickly released from the pot. In this case, ensure your hand is covered with a silicon mitt to avoid scalding it as the steam jets out.
Avoid overfilling the Instant Pot in a bid to protect its vent pipes from clogging due to the massive amount of pressure. Furthermore, when cooking rice, beans among other similar foods, the pot has to be at least half full to give them enough room for expansion.
What accessories accompany the Instant Pot?
Some of the accessories that you can expect from your Instant Pot include:
- Soup spoon
- Measuring cup
- Stainless steel rack with handle
- Rice Paddle
The steam rack aids in preventing the water from drenching your food. The accessory is ideal for foods like potatoes, corn on the cob and hard-boiled eggs. What’s more, it can be utilized in holding non-liquid food items above the water.
How to Use your Instant Pot?
Your Instant Pot comes with nine settings including:
- Manual and Pressure: The manual button on the pot allows you to enter the number of minutes or the amount of time you want your food to cook. To start the Instant Pot, ensure that you press both the pressure button and manual button in a bid to choose either high or low pressure. Also, press the timer and program the cooking duration using the up or down button.
- Slow Cook: Its function is synonymous with that of any slow cooker with various features such as high, normal and warm. After cooking for four hours, the cooker reverts to normal.
- Adjust: This feature enables you to move the pot’s temperature between less, normal or more.
- Rice: This feature is fully automatic. The ratio of liquid to rice is 2:1.
- Saute: It aids in pre-cooking onions or garlic as well as browning meat. In case you want to sear, simply add the heat. Alternatively, reduce the heat when simmering.
- Steam: To use this feature, press the steam button. Make use of the steam rack to prevent any contact between your food and the pot’s bottom.
- Soup: This button allows your food to cook for half an hour. However, you can regulate the cooking time by turning the button.
- Keep/Cancel: It allows you to stop your Instant Pot from cooking. It also enables you to keep your food warm from 133-163 degrees.
- Bean/Chili, Porridge, Multigrain, Meat/Stew, and Poultry: your Instant Pot features these pre-programmed buttons to simplify cooking.
No Let’s Cook!
Here are some of the most well-known Instant Pot models to get you started:
- Instant Pot Ultra Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, 6Qt
- Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker, 6Qt