While nobody wishes to be involved in a road traffic collision, sadly, accidents do happen. In the event you suffer a personal injury as the result of a car accident, it is essential that you remain calm. Assuming that your injuries are minor, and you do not require emergency treatment, here are a list of do’s and don’ts to follow.
- Do Collect Relevant Information – It is vital that you exchange contact details with all involved parties, as they might be required to give evidence in the event you decide to claim for personal injury compensation. There are many car accident claims in Perth, for example, and many people are unaware that they can actually make a personal injury claim, and by collecting all the contact information at the scene, you are helping the personal injury lawyer to put together a strong case on your behalf.
- Don’t Admit Liability – Whatever happens, do not admit liability at the scene of the accident, regardless of the circumstances, as this could seriously hinder your case. In fact, any competent lawyer would advise you to make no comment regarding the cause of the accident, as you might incriminate yourself in front of witnesses.
- Do Take Photos – Assuming your injuries are not too severe and that you have your smartphone with you at the time, you should take as many photos of the accident scene as possible. It might also be possible to talk to a witness and have them tell you what they saw, while you are videoing the interview. This could prove to be very useful for your lawyer when the case actually goes to court. Images of your injuries should also be recorded and make sure the images of the vehicles and the scene are taken from multiple angles, which might prove to be a decisive factor in your claim.
- Don’t Leave the Scene of the Accident – At least, not until you have exchanged details with the other involved parties, and by ensuring you have exchanged contact details and taken adequate photos and witness accounts, you stand a better chance of making a successful personal injury claim.
- Do Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer – The sooner you contact an experienced personal injury lawyer, the better. With online solutions, you can use your mobile device to leave a message, which would likely be answered very quickly. Once you have made contact with a legal expert, follow their instructions to the letter and this will maximise your chances of a successful personal injury claim at a later date.
It is important to keep a clear head if you are injured in a road traffic accident and by following the above protocol, it is hoped that you will be able to make a successful claim for compensation. There are online law firms that specialise in such cases, and with their expert help, you can proceed with your personal injury claim with confidence.