There is more to roofing than just style and colour. Whether you are building a new house or remodelling an old one, roofing is a major concern. Your roof gives your house some character. You might be surprised to learn that your house is a landmark in your area primarily because of the roof.
Therefore, your roof serves another purpose aside from sheltering you and your loved ones.
The shape of your roof is important. It defines your house giving it an overall look and style. Other uses of your roof include:
- Providing extra living space
- Making your home stronger
- Weatherproofing your home
- Making your house energy-efficient
Types of roofs
There are different types of roofs available today. You have many to choose from. Instead of walking around your neighbourhood looking for ideas of roof types you can copy, you can check online by visiting a roofing site, for instance www.daviscontracting.org or searching for one near you.
Here are some interesting types to start you off:
Let’s take a closer look at a few of them:
- The gable roof
If you hear anyone talking about a pitched or peaked roof, they are referring to the gable roof. It is a popular style which is easily recognized by its triangular shape.
- They are quick to shed water and snow.
- They give you more attic space.
- They allow more ventilation.
- They are simple and cheap to build.
- They are not safe in areas prone to high winds and hurricanes.
- If care is not taken with construction and support, they can easily collapse.
- Strong winds can lift them right off the walls.
- The pyramid
This type of roof closely resembles the hip roof. All four sides of the roof meet at the top of the roof. They are best suited for small buildings like cabins and bungalows. You will also find them on structures such as garages, pool houses and storage structures.
- Resistant to strong winds
- Lets in adequate ventilation
- The overhanging eaves will reduce energy costs
- It is not cheap because the design is quite complex.
- The combination roof
This roof incorporates a number of different roofing styles. You can do it for aesthetic reasons as the different styles are rather spectacular looking or you can opt for it for practical reasons.
- Architectural mysteries
- You can use a different roofing style for different sections of the house.
- It looks good.
- It can be quite expensive.
- It requires more materials.
- The skillion roof
Also known as a shed roof or lean-to, this roof has a single sloping roof which the builders attach to a taller wall. These ones are best used on home additions, sheds and porches.
- Easy to assemble
- Use very few materials
- Easy runoff for snow and water due to the sloping roof
- Can be used for design purposes alone
- A high-pitched roof results in low ceilings.
- They are not practical in high-wind areas.
A cursory glance at roofing sites and others will give you a lot more information on the types of roofs so that you will have quite the variety and can choose the roof that best suits your style and your area of residence.