A boiler is used to heat the water in hydronic heaters and this boiler is regulated by means of thermostatically controlled temperature. The water in the pipes is circulated through the system and then connected to radiator panels which are in each room. This is also used to channel the water back to the boiler where it is reheated. In this way the heat is transferred from the panels of the radiator. Usually there are wall thermostat controls that help to control the temperature and the room warms up in minutes.
This method of heating is cleaner, draught free and is more silent compared to the others. It also quickly heats the home to optimum temperatures. There are no byproducts generated as a result of this as compared to the duct heating. There is no circulation of allergens or dust as well. Thus, it does not contribute to people getting sore eyes or dry throats or coughs.
- When hydronic heating is installed at the time of building a new home, there is minimal disruption. However, if the homeowner’s budget does not permit, the pipe work can be done at the time of construction and the radiator panels and the boiler can be fixed in a later stage.
- With hydronic heaters it is possible to have a mix of under floor heating and the panels that use the same hydronic heating system. Usually, this is followed for two storey houses. The under floor heating is used for the lower floor and the radiator panels are then used for the upper floor. These floor coils are laid out in zones and so the temperature is separately controlled using thermostats in different rooms.
- Another important advantage of hydronic heaters is that under floor heating can be installed into properties that exist or it can be used on slabs that are present in the property. These can also be used for hardwood floors.
- Installing these systems does not take a long time. It takes approximately 3 days for average homes. If the home owner wants, more radiator panels can be added to existing systems as well.
- When one installs hydronic heaters, it usually comes with an after care pack and this includes warranty cards, instructions, compliance certificates and warranties on workmanship in addition to the manufacturer’s warranties on the materials used.
- Hydronic heaters which are hi-efficiency gas fired boilers are able to support up till 15 radiators.
Some important tips to reduce the cost of this system are:
- Using of drinking water safe components for open loop systems allows fewer valves to be installed and that brings down the cost
- A single tank less water heater can be used for house heating and also for the hot water.
- One variable speed circulator pump can be used and this eliminates the loss and loop size calculations as this is able to sense the temperature of the water and allows the speed to be adjusted automatically. This helps to save energy.
- When pre made manifold us used, easy multi zone controls as well as adjustments can be made and this prevents the need of messing with the tubing once it is installed.
- If it is in PEX, the cost comes down; the heat loss of copper pipes in the boiler room comes down as well.
- If aluminum heat reflector plates are used, the heat transfer improves and the efficiency does as well.
However, what needs to be ensured is that the person maintains this regularly so that the heater lasts for a long time and gives trouble free service for years. If you are thinking for installing hydronic heater for your new home, you should go for it.