I have previously made stuffed red peppers before. I enjoyed them so much that I searched for other recipes to make. I stumbled upon this one from A Kitchen Addiction. It was very easy to make and resembled the stuffed red pepper recipe. This makes wonderful leftovers. I love casseroles because they are easy, filling, delicious and cheap! This is great for a last minute dinner on a budget.
Brown the ground beef in a skillet, drain and add peppers, onion powder, salt, and garlic cloves
Cook the instant rice
Chopped green pepper and garlic clove
Then added to the ground beef, after it is drained
Mozzarella cheese is next
The ground beef is then added to the casserole dish
Top the mixture with the remaining cheese
Place in oven and bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown
- 1 lb pound extra-lean ground beef
- 2 small green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt to taste, optional
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 C long grain brown rice, cooked
- 1 24oz jar of low-sodium spaghetti sauce (If you are using a plain spaghetti sauce, you will want to add in 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning, 2 tsp season salt, 2 tsp onion powder, and 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder to give more flavor.)
- 1 1/2 C reduced-fat mozzarella cheese blend, divided
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook meat in frying pan until almost completely browned. Drain and rinse. Place beef back in pan and add peppers, onion powder, salt, and garlic cloves. Cook over medium-low heat until beef in completely cooked and peppers begin to turn tender.
- In a 2 1/2 qt casserole, stir together the rice, spaghetti sauce (and added spices if using), and 3/4 C cheese.
- Add in the beef mixture and stir until combined. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through and cheese begins to brown. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.