Videos are precious! They capture life in all its glory. There have been several times when these moments got lost in the wave of technology. An accidental delete, a lost phone, an aggressive malware, a meddlesome child, there are numerous ways to lose and corrupt precious video files. Fret not, for there is a solution for all things lost. If you have been struggling to fix or retrieve your corrupted mp4 files, a simple solution is to install VLC. The VLC Repair mp4 works wonders and will fix your corrupted video in minutes.
Table of Contents
Exploring VLC Repair Mp4
The brainchild of VideoLAN, a non-profit organization, VLC media player is one of the most popular media players for Windows. It is free and, you can easily install it by heading over the VLC page in the VideoLAN website. An open-source cross-platform, the VLC multimedia player supports a wide range of files including DVDs, VCDs, CDs.
VLC is widely compatible with Windows, Ubuntu and Apple platforms. You can also get VLC for your android devices, which means it will be easier to fix corrupt files on your smartphones. Before decoding the VLC Repair Mp4 procedure, here is a list of what VLC offers:
1. Fast and Hassle-free Usage
What makes VLC media player one of the most downloaded multimedia players to date? It is better than your system’s default player and enables hardware decoding on multiple platforms. It easily supports 0-copy on the GPU, ensuring that it can rely upon and fall back on the software when needed.
2. Supports Almost All Video Formats
Your read that right! So your Windows Media Player finds it hard to support certain video formats and leaves you hanging in the middle of an important binge-watching session. The quick-fix to this problem is to install VLC. VLC supports a plethora of formats, making it unchallenging to stream a video on your favorite device.
It supports MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG-1/2, XviD, DivX® (1/2/3/4/5/6), 3ivX D4, Cinepak, H.261, H.263 / H.263i, Sorenson 1/3, H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC, Theora, Dirac / VC-2, MJPEG (A/B), WMV 1/2, WMV 3 / WMV-9 / VC-1, DV, On2 VP3/VP5/VP6, Indeo Video v3 (IV32), Real Video (1/2/3/4).
The best news about VLC is that even Mac supports it. Incidentally, almost every other Mac user relies on VLC for their video streaming needs. QuickTime are you listening? The lightweight application does not even consume heavy space, making it apt for Mac users.
Besides, who doesn’t like simple yet effective interfaces? VLC offers just that, contrary to the default media player on Mac.
3. Advanced Features
VLC offers users numerous advanced controls to get the job done. You can customize the interface, add subtitles, open multiple files, do network streams and much more with just single software.
You can add audio effects such as Equalizer, Compressor, and Spatializer to enhance the quality of audio. VLC also offers an array of video effects that let you crop, adjust colors and overlay; configure AtmoLight among other cool things. It also enables audio-video synchronization to accentuate your viewing experience.
Changing the Default Media Player on Mac
Before venturing into VLC mp4 repair, it is imperative to know the hows of changing the default media player on Mac. Since Windows has it easier, it is being left out for now.
- To set VLC as the Mac default browser, open Safari browser. Then follow the link given above and download the VLC version for Mac. Download the file from the link.
- Once the download is over, open the downloaded file. In the appeared window, drag the VCL file to the Application folder. After it is copied, double click on the VLC icon in the Application window. Then, close the Application window.
- Open Finder and go to Movies folder or any other folder with a movie or video clip. Right-click on any video files and then click on Get Info. A Window will pop-up.
- In the appeared window, you will see an Open With option. Click on the drop-down and you will see options of media players. Select VLC media player from the dropdown.
- Click on Change All for this selection to apply across all video files. VLC will be set as your default player until you change the settings.
You can follow the same procedure to change the default media player from iTunes to VLC for your audio files.
Now, it’s time to get back to the problem at hand- fixing a corrupt mp4 file. It is simpler than it sounds! This step-by-step guide to the VLC mp4 repair is here to make the procedure effortless and hassle-free.
How to use VLC mp4 repair?
Just how many times did you encounter an error message while trying to play a file? The guess is many, which is why you are here looking for ways to fix a corrupted mp4 file. Did you notice VLC flashing you with a text to repair a broken file on such occasions? More often than not, you can click on No, without realising VLC’s repairing abilities. The VLC media player can fix corrupted or broken files with seamless ease. So, next time when VLC prompts you to fix a broken mp4, go ahead and click on yes.
What are the factors that can corrupt files?
Before venturing into how a corrupted mp4 file can be fixed with VLC mp4 repair, it is best to understand how files get corrupted in the first place.
- If your internet is slow or troublesome, then the downloaded file can show errors. It is always advisable to use a good download manager to prevent corruption from broken downloads.
- Broken headers can also predispose an mp4 file to corruption.
- Sometimes mp4 files get corrupted due to improper compression. If you are exporting and compressing an mp4 file, make sure it is either in FLV or WMV format.
- So, you have downloaded your mp4 file from an unverified source! These mp4 files are often damaged and can also act as malware. Next time, resist the temptation and search for an alternative source which is reliable.
- Copied the mp4 file in a disc from your friend’s desktop? Incomplete read and write operations often lead to broken files.
So there are two easy alternates to the VLC mp4 repair. This blog will discuss all three to help you choose one best for you.
Method 1: Easy Repair with VLC
- The first step is to launch the VLC media player. Once you have done that, head over to Media and then click on Convert/Save.
- An Open Media window will pop-up on the screen. Under Open Media, you will get the option to add input files and streams. Click on the Add tab to add the corrupted mp4 file and then press the Convert/Save option.
- This will take you to a Convert window. Here you need to provide a file name for your destination file. Ensure that the profile selection is set at Video-H.264 + Mp3 (Mp4) or Video-H.265 + Mp3 (Mp4) for mp4 files. There are other video profiles at your disposal.
- Now, click on the Edit Selected Profile tab. This lets you check or edit the profile settings as per your requirements. Similarly, you can easily add or delete profiles from the tab as per your desire.
- Click on Start to begin the fixing process.
Method 2: Copying the Corrupted File and Replicating It
- Start the fixing process by creating a copy of the corrupted mp4 file. It also works for MOV files.
- Rename the selected file with a .avi extension.
- Now, click on VLC player to launch it.
- Once launched, head over to Tools and then Preferences. This will open a pop-up window called Simple Preferences. From there, on the top bar select Input/Codecs.
- Scroll down a little and, you will see an option under Files called Damaged or Incomplete AVI file. Here, you will see a drop-down with a pre-selected option called Ask for action. Change it to Always Fix.
- Now, just click on Save to get the VLC repair mp4 fix. Run the file on VLC player to check if the fix worked!
One of these two methods should help run your corrupted mp4 file. In case, it doesn’t here is a list of free mp4 repairing software to do the trick.
Losing your precious video is never an option! If VLC failed you, here is a list of some alternate software that works just as well.
1. Stellar Repair for Video
The Stellar Repair for Video is one of the leading video repair software out there. It is effective, user-friendly and most importantly, secure! Head over to the Stellar Video Repair Tool website and download the free version. There is a free trial version for both Windows and Mac. The trial software gives a sneak-peek into Stellar’s video repairing prowess for files that are or under 10 MB in size.
Stellar Repair for Video can fix even your noisy, distorted and choppy videos for the better. It is available in Standard, Premium and Technician versions according to your changing needs.
What is it that makes Stellar Repair for Video different?
- Stellar Repair for Video rebuilds and repairs damaged videos and, supports even MOV file formats. It effortlessly fixes numerous types of corruptions and errors across video frames, video movements, sound and sliders to heighten your viewing experience. If you are getting an error loading text while playing a video, Stellar Repair takes care of that too. Besides, it supports a wide range of formats from MOV, MP4, M4V to 3G2, 3GP and even F4V videos.
- Another amazing feature of Stellar Repair for Video which makes it stand out from VLC repair mp4 is its simultaneous video repair abilities. It can repair multiple video files of different formats at the same time, making it one of the quickest fixes for repairing damaged, broken or corrupted video files.
- Stellar packs in a stellar interface with its intuitive features which makes video repairing an easy accomplishment. The user-friendly and interactive software helps you repair files with just the click of a mouse. Its enhanced GUI makes video repairing look like a walk in the park.
2. Kernel Video Repair
Just like VLC repair mp4, Kernel Video Repair takes care of your unhealthy video files. It comes with a free trial version which lets you fix up to 5 videos, post which you need to purchase the premium. You can get it at the official website of Kernel Data Recovery. Kernel Video Repair can fix all the video formats supported by the Windows environment. The best thing about Kernel is that it repairs the corrupted file without disrupting the video quality.
What makes Kernel Video Repair stand out?
- Repair corrupted files without any hassle! So, error messages are cropping up and coming in the way of your binge time. Kernel fixes all these errors in an instant and with two easy steps. Just select the damaged file and initiate repair.
- Kernel Video Repair software supports a wide range of popular formats to make it easier for you. From the favorite MP4 to MPEG, MKV, MTS, WMV, WEBM and even FLV, F4V, DIVX and AVI, Kernel repairs every available video format.
- One of the most intriguing features of Kernel Video Repair software is that it can recover video from any source. Whether it was a DSLR footage or footage from your smartphone, you can easily recover it.
Now that you are an expert on recovering corrupted video files, it’s time to do it on your own. Remember, VLC repair mp4 is absolutely free so, you can always try your hand at it. If you want a little more from your video repair software, there are always the paid versions of Kernel Video Repair and Stellar Repair for Video. For videos shot on phones, the MP4Fix Video Repair Tool works wonders! MP4Fix is available for androids on the Google Play Store.