I was searching for an easy, dessert type of snack, and found this lovely recipe called, “Saltine Toffee.” The prep time is 15 minutes and total time, about 25. This is a true statement. I had everything melted, stirred, poured and baked in under a half hour. These are so addicting. The toffee, saltine crackers and chocolate are the most perfect combination. I brought them to a family gathering and turned to be the perfect snack for everyone to munch on. This is sweet, salty, crunchy, and chocolatey, which will leave your taste-buds always wanting more!
Just a few simple ingredients: 1 stick of butter, 1 bag (2 cups) of chocolate morsels, 1 sleeve of saltine crackers and 1 cup of brown sugar
Step 1: Melt the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan
Step 2: Line a cookie sheet, covered with aluminum foil with the sleeve of saltine crackers
Bring the butter and brown sugar mix to a boil
Pour over the saltine crackers until covered
Add the chocolate morsels and let sit for one minute to melt
Use a spatula or knife to spread the chocolate until fully covering the crackers
Spread the remaining crushed up crackers over the chocolate and let sit in the refrigerator until set. (At least a half hour)
Table of Contents
*Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 1.5 sleeves of saltine crackers
- 1 stick (4 oz) butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Arrange the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet so that there are no empty spaces in between them. Crush any remaining crackers into small crumbs and set aside for now.
3. Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir while the butter melts, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Once boiling, carefully pour the sugar-butter mixture over the crackers on the baking sheet in an even layer, trying to cover most of the crackers. If you miss some spots, don’t worry as the toffee will spread in the oven.
4. Bake the toffee crackers at 350 degrees for five minutes, until the toffee is bubbling all over. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for one minute.
5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the hot toffee, and allow them to sit for one minute to soften and melt. Once softened, use an offset spatula or knife to spread the melted chocolate over the entire surface of the toffee in an even layer. While the chocolate is still sticky, sprinkle the top with the reserved crushed crackers.
6. Refrigerate the pan to set the toffee and chocolate for about 30 minutes. Once set, break into small uneven pieces by hand, and enjoy! Store uneaten saltine toffee in an airtight container for up to a week.