Smart technology is really starting to shape our modern lives. It started with the smart phone, which permanently changed not only our collective ways of thinking, but also our behavior. Go back in time to 2006, and you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone as up-to-date with their friend’s personal lives as just about everyone with an Instagram or Snapchat is today. If you sent a teen back, they’d go into an immediate paralysis from all the eye contact and occasional small talk that came with one’s daily life back then.
So even if you’re holding off on buying that Amazon Echo or Google Home for your own home, smart tech is still probably affecting your life in a variety of other ways. Smart appliances and home installations are the next phase in the artificial intelligence revolution that’s threatening to change the world. And trust us, this isn’t hyperbole, it’s just the evolution of technology.
All of this brings us to the most important question of the hour for homeowners everywhere: “How does any of that apply to my sprinkler system?” Well the answer is that many people are transitioning to smart sprinkler controllers to help with limit water consumption and energy use. Do you need one of these in your yard? Here are 5 reasons to consider installing a smart sprinkler controller.
- Save money. While not all smart sprinkler controllers are the same, this article about a wifi-controlled sprinkler system declares that it can save you a significant amount of money by cutting your water use by as much as 30%. You can also set up watering zones so you’re not wasting water and money watering every section of your lawn or garden at the same time or with the same amounts. As with most of this technology, the cost may be greater up front, but will ultimately help save money in the long run.
- Water conservation. Of course, saving money on your monthly water bills isn’t the only reason to consider a smart sprinkler system, though it may be the motivation you need to get started. In places like Australia or California, where drought is a major concern, the idea of water conservation becomes a top priority many homeowners. By reducing your water usage, you can do your part by using less water overall.
- Save time. It may sound crazy, but a smart sprinkler controller can also save you time. Imagine you’re out of town, at work, or running errands. Since your sprinkler system is wifi-enabled, you can check on your smart system whenever you want, wherever you want, ensuring that it is always working according to plan, thus saving you time and personal energy. Control it with your phone or by establishing the settings ahead of time and letting your system do all the work.
- Don’t water in the rain. Some smart controllers will even allow nature to take the wheel, depending on the brand you choose. We’ve all walked past homes and businesses when their sprinkler systems were running in the rain. This use of municipal water is totally unnecessary and with a smart sprinkler controller with a rain sensor, you can avoid this.
- Maintenance schedules. You’ll also notice maintenance issues faster, so you can contact an expert for the proper repair without missing a beat. You can establish regular checks with the controller so that it can tell you when an issue has arisen or provide you with the encouragement you need to get regular maintenance to avoid further problems.
Are you curious about smart technology and how a smart sprinkler controller can benefit you? Contact your local sprinkler repair specialists today!