We have all most likely had that awful dream about someone breaking into our home. It’s a dream that leaves you feeling helpless and vulnerable, and you should never feel like that in your own home. Your home is a place where you can be yourself, a place to relax in, laugh in, be silly in, and feel absolutely comfortable to walk around naked in if you choose to! But unfortunately, due to the news, or even past experiences, we tend to become instilled with fear and anxiety. And while a healthy amount of concern is good – it shouldn’t make you feel unsafe in your own home.
– Follow these easy tricks, and you will not only feel safer, but you’ll help to prevent any likely chances of having your home broken into.
- If you’re planning a trip or have to go out of town for something, ask someone you trust like your neighbor, friend, or family member to collect the mail for you so that the mailbox isn’t able to get full, as this is how a burglar knows that you’re not at home.
- A lot of burglars don’t require tough tools and gadgets to break in, because a lot of people end up leaving a window cracked open slightly, or the back door unlocked – leaving the thieves with perfect access to get inside your home without having to break anything.
- If you’re going out, try and leave your car in the drive, or ask someone to park there for you. Burglars will assume that no one is home if there’s no car outside and are more likely to target the home.
- Don’t assume that burglars only appear at night. A lot of them will start searching for houses early in the morning once people have gone to work. So when leaving your home, wave and shout goodbye as if someone is still in the house.
- Buy an axis camera for your home so that it can monitor what’s going on around it. No matter where you are, you will be able to watch the footage live from your phone. Burglars will avoid houses that have visible security in place.
- Never underestimate neighborhood watch programs. They may sound silly at the time, but no burglar is going to attempt to enter a house with the whole neighborhood constantly peeking out of the windows. It really does work to keep the bad guys away.
- The sound of a dog barking is very intimidating for any kind of burglar, so if you haven’t already got one, consider buying a dog. There are even CDs that you can buy of an aggressive sounding dog barking on and off, made specifically to deter away burglars. So they’re worth looking into.
Now you see what works, keep all of these tips and tricks in mind. They really do make a difference, and not only that but you’ll feel a lot more relaxed knowing that you’re in control.