Do you put premium on rewarding yourself with the best anti-wrinkle cream? Or, do you value non-tangible beauty secrets more? Turns out, both are important in making your senior years the best phase of your life ever. Don’t hesitate. Believe it.
Here are the 10 ways by which you can age gracefully:
- Love yourself and your life. Making yourself feel no less than anybody else is the foundation of building a healthy kind of self-confidence. You’ve got to learn to appreciate all the best and the worst of you, and not envy another person’s life. After all, you only got what you have and you only have one life so, might as well not feel sorry about either. Focus on your assets more.
- Do things that make you feel good. Go spoil yourself. Take vacations and go see the world. Schedule a relaxing massage or light up a scented candle to stimulate your senses. Give yourself a proper skin care routine everyday. Don’t forget that doing good things for others also gives you more reasons to be proud of who you are. Everybody needs to feel needed and it is only by connecting with others, including strangers, that you can feel that you are part of something larger than yourself.
- Create a healthier version of you. Use less makeup. Instead, invest on keeping yourself healthy. Eat a well balanced diet and find a workout that interests you. Also, give your body sufficient time to rest and rejuvenate because sleep is the best means for your body to recover from signs of damage and deterioration. Reaching your optimal health level works so much better than a Teamine Eye Complex in keeping your skin wrinkle-free.
- Formulate your own beauty philosophy. Just because outer beauty is never enough, every anti-aging strategy must start and end with one. Take this example from Lupita Nyong’o who once said, “I come from a loving, supportive family, and my mother taught me that there are more valuable ways to achieve beauty than just through your external features. She was focused on compassion and respect, and those are the things that ended up translating to me as beauty. Beautiful people have many advantages, but so do friendly people…I think beauty is an expression of love.”
- Catch just enough sunlight. It’s good for your health and well-being. Sunlight is necessary for your biochemical and cognitive functions to stay oiled and performing efficiently. Too much of it though and you’re not just damaging your skin but also endangering your health. Beyond healthy sun time, apply your sunscreen and put on other barriers to protect your skin from UV.
- Never allow stress to manage you. Not even your L’amour Skin Care products can help you escape from the impact of chronic stress on both your health and beauty. On the other hand, learning stress management techniques can help you shield yourself from shedding unnecessary emotions on things that, at the end of the day, do not really matter or, that you really do not have any control of.
- Keep challenging yourself. The good news about stress is that there is a good side. By challenging yourself physically and mentally on a regular basis, you are also training your body and mind to become more resilient. Challenges keep you interested in discovering more out of your life, and make you tougher and fiercer. Learn a new skill or, get hooked on a new hobby.
- Spend time with people you love (and who love you back). Everybody needs to feel needed and secure — two very human needs that you can fulfill simply by making time to be with your loved ones. Create wonderful memories that you’d want to replay over and over again in your head when you’re older.
- Have a more optimistic outlook. Knowing that you can work out your life’s biggest challenges makes you a fighter and that gives you pride, so don’t walk away from what’s been laid out on your plate. You’re strong and nobody and nothing can take that away from you.
- Make time for happiness. Forgive more and despise less. Always choose happiness. It keeps your heart healthy and your skin wrinkle-free.
See, aging gracefully requires a state of mind. People who gain more wisdom from this game called “life” are said to age gracefully. While those you are resistant to learn lose in the end. Get on these 10 habits and you’ll be on your road to win.
Kelly Everson is an American author and MA in English literature. She is a fashion and beauty writer who has written numerous articles. She likes to get insights on various trends being followed in the fashion industry. She has been sharing her knowledge by being a contributor to various beauty, fashion and makeup related informative sites. She is also a regular contributor to The Beauty Insiders