For connoisseurs of fine alcohol, cocktails are up there with the best wines and brandies, with creative mixes that were conjured up using a wide range of ingredients. To be called a cocktail, the drink should have at least two ingredients, one being distilled alcohol, and the other a vermouth. Most cocktails were the result of pure experimentation, and if you are new to the world of cocktail drinking, here are five classics you need to have under your belt.
- Martini – This is the first cocktail the average person would think of, and with good reason. The classic gin and vermouth combination produces a unique taste, and garnished with olives or a lemon twist, it is the classic cocktail. If you work in Perth CBD, and are looking to unwind after a hard day at the office, try the CBD Bar Gramercy, which is said to be the best cocktail bar in Perth. Relax in a soothing ambience while you recharge those batteries. The original martini is made using gin, so if you want vodka, simply ask for a vodka martini.
- Margarita – This refreshing fruity mixture of tequila, Cointreau and lime juice is a firm favourite with many. One can also have some salt around the rim of the glass for that bitter aftertaste. The ratio of tequila to Cointreau should be 2:1, with a generous amount of lime juice, typically the same amount as the liqueur, although different tastes can be achieved with some precise adjustment on all three ingredients.
- Mai Tai – The Caribbean fruity cocktail that is a delight to sip at any time, the Mai Tai is a combination of light rum, orange curacao, and lime juice. Of course, there are variations of garnishing and subtle additions that can make this a truly unique cocktail, and one for the beach or pool scenario. On the other hand, if you are looking to relax after a tough day at the office, a Mai Tai is the ideal tonic, and if you happen to be in Western Australia, there’s a great CBD bar in Perth where you can order the perfect Mai Tai.
- Pina Colada – Another firm favourite, especially in warmer climates, this concoction involves light rum, pineapple juice, and cream of coconut, to produce a really refreshing drink. Garnished with either pineapple of a cherry, the Pina Colada is said to have originated in Puerto Rico, and it is now enjoyed worldwide. Ideal for beach parties and barbeques, the mixture can be blended with ice to bring your temperature right down.
- Whisky Sour – A simple yet tasty cocktail, the whisky sour originated in America, and with a generous amount of fresh lemon juice that is mixed with the whisky, you have a refreshing tang, especially with some syrup added. A great summer cocktail, especially for the whisky lovers, and by lowering the alcohol content a little, it makes for an ideal afternoon drink.
There isn’t a better way to relax and enjoy your surroundings than a cocktail, and although it is nice to prepare your own, there are times when a good cocktail bar is required.